The ultimate noise-maker

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Okay, the stress of Christmas is over and I can get back to my hobby... here is something I picked up in 2006, but finally had time today to do up the page. Have a look HERE for photos and information on the gun. This is one cool piece; I love it. Imagine the bang when it went off?

fge55.jpg

Too bad they no longer have Batmen for you guy's. guess you pollished yourself :D . Nice piece to the collection
Mark
P.S> imagine thew recieving end of it's shells.

zipperheads9 said:
// guess you pollished yourself //
Nope. Not me. (And no batman either!) Actually, that was the one feature I did not care for, that it had been cleaned. I would have much preferred dark tarnished patina. Oh well, can't always get what you asked for. However, this is far to rare and 'kick-ass' an item to pass by, and I have always wanted a railway gun casing. T

WOW!!!! :eek: Now that is one impressive piece.

All you need now is the matching railway gun and you are set!

I'm thinking that after the dreadnaught is finished you might have to build a scratchbuilt railway gun the size of the casing that can fit inside!

Thanks for sharing Tony!!

John

JohnM said:
I'm thinking that after the dreadnaught is finished you might have to build a scratchbuilt railway gun the size of the casing that can fit inside!
Odd that you should mention that. That is exactly the plan! But not inside...I have scored some photos, but am drawing a zero in my search for blueprints or line drawings.

Tony Aberdeen may have some plan's .Another untapped source may be RMC for you to try they have a very good WW1 German Army library that was aquired by Crear in 1945.
I will look to see what I can find , as I seem to find odd thing's like that out there.
Any particular gun? I mean name not caliber.
Mark

zipperheads9 said:
// Any particular gun? //
24cm L/40 named Theodor Karl. Also looking for plans/drawings to build the 28cm railway gun called the "Amiens gun" the barrel of which is now at the Australian War Memorial. Thanks Mark.

Wow! That is a huge casing. You know what they say T.....big feet big mits and big casing equals a big gun! Congrats, Brian

Tony,

A very interesting conversation starter for your dinner guests!

I will be moving to Canberra in a few weeks and will be a regular visitor to the Australian War Memorial (actually far more than a memorial - more like one of the world's finest military museums). I know the gun-barrel you are talking about, it is on display near the entrance to the memorial. When I get there, I can take some photos and measurements if you'd like. I just need a 50' tape measure.

Mike

I first saw the massive casing in Tony's living room. The new Bunker web page makes it even more impressive.

Well Done!

Chas.

Tony,

I visited the War Memorial today. The 28cm Amiens Gun 'Bruno' is there on display. As you alreadfy know, the barrel and breech block is all that remains. Apparently, the entire rail mount was also souvenired and was subsequently used for heavy artillery testing at Port Wakefield in the 1920s-1930s, and was then cut up for scrap. Pity; a 46 ton, 28cm gun on a railway carriage would have made a great display for the 'war room'.

The gun was captured at Harbonnieres on 8 August 1918, 'The Black Day', by 31st Battalion AIF. Interestingly, the many years of accumulated paint have recently been removed and the gun repainted based on the remains of the original patterns and colours of the base camouflage paint scheme. So if you build this gun, the current paint scheme is an accurate match for the original scheme.

"BRUNO"
277616.jpg

Let me know what images you need and I will take a camera next time.

Mike

Back