Theft at the LaGleize Show

Peter_Suciu

Dutch collector Paul Reijnders, who some of you know I think, reported on another forum that there was a lot of theft at the LaGleize Show this past weekend. Pickpockets were present and a number of dealers were robbed at their tables. Paul mentioned that someone even broke into a car belonging to the dealers from Regimentals, and reportedly an American Model 8 steel helmet was stolen!

I haven't done any European shows but when I hear of the problems at Ciney and now this I wonder if I'll ever bother. I've been lucky at SOS and MAX, as well as other shows, but this stuff is just depressing. Thieves will eventually kill these bigger shows if something isn't done.

They also stole a nice FJ helmet from Marc Van Thiel (IMCS Militaria)! I hate those b*stards! Like you say, those a**hoheles will destroy everything for the hard working collector. The problem is that when you go to the police, they don't take it serious... I think because most of the officers even don't understand why someone would collect these things...
I sure hope the thieves will be cought asap!

Adler

Yes it is sad ... :(
I haven’t been to any big show here in Belgium where the pickpocket warning was not rang.
They work in teams and are well organized, the one who lifts the wallet passes it on to another guy and even if you did feel something your wallet is long gone.Most thief-gangs come from Romania.
There is effort to fight this crime and police is present, they roam the parking area and photograph car license plates, but they are also interested in possible arms dealers.....

This is so so sad. The shows are more of a social event to me. We collect pointy hats. Whatever they sell I'm sure they get pennies on the dollar. No wonder SOS is trying to tighten up. It is just so sad. You meet so many honest people.

I remember in the past the antique fairs (Ardingly, Newark and so on!) in the UK that closed earlyer (before dark!)during the winter periode in order that everyone could drive home safly.Many cars- van's/ lorry's where attaqued in the small roads coming from the fair, for theyre money!
And the greate antique fair at Lille......that is war zone, ever since the start! Last show a dealer was robbed a pickelhaube right in front of his nose, ....and leaving your table to get the thief is no good plan you might lose more!

Talking about safety, I just baught at the local supermarket two camera's that you can watch and command from your cell phone.
No realy safer,.... but it feels better when leaving the house!
:guns: :guns:

SOS has been a great show, you can walk away from you table and when you come back, either everything is still there, or someone will come over and hand you some money and say that they sold an item while you were gone. There have been a few thefts, and the new rules should help curtail that, but robberies are not likely to happen where there are people who are armed.

Gustaf said:
SOS has been a great show, you can walk away from you table and when you come back, either everything is still there, or someone will come over and hand you some money and say that they sold an item while you were gone. There have been a few thefts, and the new rules should help curtail that, but robberies are not likely to happen where there are people who are armed.

I haven't had any theft (at least nothing so significant that I noticed), but I've talked to a few people who have been robbed. One friend had an entire case of medals stolen, and I've heard of helmets and other items walking off. IMA-USA had a rare Brown Bess musket stolen at SOS in 2014, and as a result they've stopped setting up and now come to the show just to buy.

I do agree that the new rules will help curtail it a bit, but set up and break down are still "dangerous" times at a big show like SOS. Who is going to notice if you walk out with a box?

Peter_Suciu said:
I do agree that the new rules will help curtail it a bit, but set up and break down are still "dangerous" times at a big show like SOS. Who is going to notice if you walk out with a box?

:-$ :-$ :-$ don’t give out any ideas …
Ok, I know :oops: …I’m paranoid …

Good thingking gunner cooper,the worst thing you can do is to put your wallet in a backpack, it’s like handing it on a plate.

Peter_Suciu said:
Gustaf said:

I haven't had any theft (at least nothing so significant that I noticed), but I've talked to a few people who have been robbed. One friend had an entire case of medals stolen, and I've heard of helmets and other items walking off. IMA-USA had a rare Brown Bess musket stolen at SOS in 2014, and as a result they've stopped setting up and now come to the show just to buy.

What are the new rules that will help?

ebeeby said:
What are the new rules that will help?

Any one caught with a name badge that is not their own will be ejected from the show, and banned. It is very possible that the actual owner of the name tag may face the same expulsion.

Gustaf said:
Any one caught with a name badge that is not their own will be ejected from the show, and banned. It is very possible that the actual owner of the name tag may face the same expulsion.

That should help a bit - but I still think enforcement during set up is important and dealers need to be careful during breakdown.

I had a legitimate pass to get in the gun show down the hall and was there during Friday. They were kicking out anyone who didn't have a pass, and honestly it was just so easy to walk in on the loading dock and wander around. The set up night at SOS is a bit more controlled, but it is really easy to get in the show with the Wednesday night pass and have someone else (with a pass) bring it out. 99 percent of the time it is just people wanting to get in and buy, but it only takes that 1 percent with devious intentions to ruin the show for someone.

Back