This reservist wanted all the whistles & buzzers

This tall raised relief earthenware regimental from the 4th Howitzer Battery, 3rd Guard Field Artillery Regiment in Beeskow was owned by Reservist Gefreiter Stohr who served from 1912 - 1914. Gefreiter Stohr apparently wanted all the options on his stein. One of the gunners on the lid is holding a photograph of Wiliam II, the gun has a spring loaded plunger and will shoot match sticks. The thumblift is a large horse and rider with a guard star enblem hanging from the horse. The horse's head has an "eye" called a stanhope that is 2 small magnifying lenses with a "micro dot" type transparency sandwiched between them. Hold the lens to your eye and a scene is visible. These scenes are generally photographs of the daily parade or the kasserne. Unfortunately these small images have not stood the test of time, particularly if a stein was washed, as most often the images no longer exist in the lens.
Reservist1

Chas: lids that resemble projectile fuzes are frequently seen on artillery steins. Some of the lids very closely resemble an actual artillery fuze and could be purchased as a "set" or "non set" type. The set type lid is made in 2 or 3 pieces and can be adjusted to a timed delay setting. The non set type is cast as a single piece. In addition to fuze lids, some artillery stein bodies are made to resemble an actual projectile.

R1

Chas: Here is an example of a Baden 14th foot artillery stein with a set type fuze lid and projectile body.

ar14sw7.jpg

R1

Drat. You said R1 that you were going to post a Garde FAR Stein, it figures it would be the 3rd. I have straps for Garde FAR 1, 2, and 4, but not the 3d. Fantastic Steins! :love10:

As a back-up to your posting, here is an issued Badisches Fußartillerie-Regt. Nr.14 (Straßburg i.E.) from the XIV Armee Korps.

AF14.jpg

Tony: If you are interestred I can post steins from the 1st, 2nd & 4th Garde FAR but that might be overkill on stein postings.

Reservist1

Back