This was the last one I got......

I have a love/hate relationship with this one. I wanted a helmet with a cross-base and a square-cut visor but I think it's too flash compared to my other pieces.

Prussian 1st. Garde Dragoon, Unteroffizier. The eagle is huge and of superb quality.

....................................................................................

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When you want a helmet with a cross-base and a square-cut visor, you are seriously haube-infected :headbang: ...
It's a beautiful helmet!

Adler

An extremely nice helmet Mike! You should have the spike basis put back in shape so that it perfectly adheres to the shell! This little detail detracts from an otherwise superb hat.

Thank's for your compliment's, fellas - that's very nice of you all.

I know what you mean, Bruno - I've thought about getting the crossbase straightened out a little. The shell has sunk slightly and that has caused a couple of kinks in the base. As you can see, that has also caused the spike to tip slightly off-centre. I think it could be done but I wonder if it would not then fit exactly the 'shadow' it has made in the surface of the shell? The fittings on this have been in place since it was made, I guess, and have left their imprints quite nicely. The top might then need to be raised to match the new shape of the base? I don't know if the top could be raised slightly? Brian - have you ever done this to an officer style helmet?

I'll think on it.

Hey Mike,
I believe that it is better to spend years thinking about how to do it, rather than forgeing ahead and making a mistake. The damage to the melmet is part of its history, and one does not want to add to that type of history, only to erase it. The condition my be noticeble to you now, but even a small bit of damage caused by trying to correct it, will really stand out to you (although we may not be able to see it)
Gus

I for one would not attempt to "push up" a sunken skull unless a helmet was trashed. Then again, I just would not buy a helmet with a badly sunken top and avoid the quandary all together.

However, I would guess that in this case the spike was bent, causing the upwards crinkle at the inside corner of the spike base. Then it was bent back too far, resulting in a similar crinkle on the other side.

So, if you support the shell inside top firmly on a foam head or whatever, you can gently tap the crinkles down and inward a bit with a soft wooden dowel and a small hammer. Did I mention gently?

Oh, that is a beautiful Haube by the way. Congratulations :thumbright:

I have done it Mike but on an officer helme in much worse sunken condition than this and only the shell. The base itself was in excellent condition. I would like to see a pic of the top of your helmet looking down on the spike. My first reaction would be to not mess with it. You can mold leather back into shape fairly easily but brass?? That requires heat and delicate hammering. I hate messing with the metal...I even had to have Tony make me up a step by step instruction sheet called "Solder Tips for the Dyslexic"! My 2 cents worth anyway. B

Mikey, only a great :thumbright: fot this Haube!!!
Is that a Haube worn by a Fähnrich?
Philippe :salute:

Well, I totally disagree with everybody. The helmet is indeed WAY to shiny and spiffy, so you should sell it to me immediately! :-?

NO, WAIT! I'm kidding. You have a nice Pickelhaube there! One that just about any collector would be proud to own. I agree with everybody else, leave it as it is. It looks very nice indeed.

:D Ron

Thank you, fellas - I appreciate all your comments. I get what you say about the distortion being part of it's history - it's strange the way time and conditions affect these items due to the materials they were made from reacting sometimes in extreme ways? I can never believe how strong the pull of the leather can be in some cases - enough to distort metal etc., - it's incredible!

I'll think on it some more but I won't try to raise the top on this as it's not too bad anyway. Normally even a slight bit of sinkage would put me off but I guess I got seduced by that bird and the fact that there ain't too many of these knocking around.

I think I like it more now since you guy's have endorsed it a little - thank's!

:D

b.loree said:
I have done it Mike but on an officer helme in much worse sunken condition than this and only the shell. The base itself was in excellent condition. I would like to see a pic of the top of your helmet looking down on the spike. My first reaction would be to not mess with it. You can mold leather back into shape fairly easily but brass?? That requires heat and delicate hammering. I hate messing with the metal...I even had to have Tony make me up a step by step instruction sheet called "Solder Tips for the Dyslexic"! My 2 cents worth anyway. B

Thanks, B., - I can solder OK but I aint no metal-worker. How did you get past the liner problem when raising the lid on an officer helmet?

argonne said:
Mikey, only a great :thumbright: fot this Haube!!!
Is that a Haube worn by a Fähnrich?
Philippe :salute:

I guess it could be, Phillipe. But I'm always reticent to commit on this matter as I get confused by it all. It's obviously not a full officer helmet and I kind of like the fact that the star is not the enamelled kind but still quite 'bombe' and of high quality. The guy that had this wore it a bit as the liner, although in good condition shows some wear. That's another thing I like about it - that it's been used somewhat. He must have looked pretty cool with this thing on his head.

Back