Thomas Weber's "Hitler's First War"

2poy0pu.jpg

Dear Friends,

In the Netherlands and in other countries in Europe a translation of an already controversial, English book has been recently published; Thomas Weber’s "Hitler’s First War". These critical reviews in the printed media and even on the Dutch radio not only aroused my curiosity, but above all these reviews aroused my scepticism over the claims, which I read about in these pre-publications. These previews, in which historical scholars are simultaneously critical as well as they praise the book, were reason enough for me to read the book.

The arrival of Thomas Weber himself on 24 March this year at the Goethe Institute in Amsterdam for a lecture, obliged me to read the book a bit faster. Rather sceptical, I started my reading experience, but I finished excited.

So, also on request of some of my regular guests, I wrote down my reading experience of Weber’s book for you. As always; controversional or not, I only review books, which I consider worth a five star rating. This time I released a bilingual book review, Dutch and English, so please, click on: "Thomas Weber’s ”Hitler’s First War” .

Have a nice week, and thanks in advance for visiting my website again!
With regards,
Pierre

Thank you, Pierre. I purchased Weber's Book recently, and it is in my reading queue. Your review has certainly piqued my interest.

Chas

I have to say that I found this book very interesting. It is very much a book of 2 halves with the post-war analysis being for me much the less interesting and very much repetitive.

The English version could do with a decent editor to correct some of the gross errors in the text, and I found Thomas's use of statistics to be rather dubious but overall a great insight into the realities behind some of the myths taht have been passed down through the years by other historians.

The glimpse of Hitler's dalliance with the Communist regime in Munich was totally unexpected! It comes as no surprise that these facts and Hitler's mental/physical condition immediately at the end of the First World War were suppressed by Hitler and the Nazi Party.

I would also recommend this book

I found Weber's book on Hitler to be of much interest. Unlike other authors he delves into the specifics of Hitler's wartime service. Using primary sources Weber sheds light on Hitler's service behind the trenches, his award of the EK I & II, his injury from gas and his anti-Semitic behaviour.

I believe Weber's book is ground breaking. I can't help but wonder why other "experts" did not find the source material Weber did.

Pierre, your review was very good. I highly recommend all with any interest in Hitler or WWI German service to take a look at Pierre's review.

Best, Mike

Gentlemen, Chas, Istanbulian, and Mike, thank you, especially the readers here amidst you, for your confirmation of my positive verdict about Weber's book.
Mike, thank you very much for your fine recommendation here! :!: I do hope the future readers of my book review will also visit one of my Photo Impressions of the former battlefields on the same website :). After all these impressions form my "core business" and that all for free. :wink:
Pierre

Back