Tientsin 1905

peter h

Photos of the Ostasiatische Besatzungsbrigade in China

Tientsin_10.jpg

Peter these are fantastic! I think this may be the first time I've seen a picture of the officer filz helmet that George found. I mean that is really really really cool -- clear pictures also. Where in the heck did you find these?? It is amazing to me that the Imperial war Museum has digitalized 20,000 of 1.5 million pictures. Sort of makes you humble. Have you looked at the uniforms on the thread about camels? We could use your help. It is in. Photographs also. :D :D :D

Joe

There from ebay.de,seller das-fotokabinett.He's asking big euros for them,varying from 40 to 70 euros each!

Something on the Ostasiatische Besatzungsbrigade here,from Chris' website:
http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolonialuniforms/hist%20china.htm

The East Asian Occupation Brigade
In 1901 with the Boxer Rebellion defeated, the East Asian Expeditionary Corps was disbanded and mostly recalled to Germany. A much smaller force of about 3,600 remained to occupy positions in various Chinese cities (including Peking, Tientsin, Shanghai, Shan Hai Kwan, Lanfang, Tangku and Yangtsun). This newly organised force was renamed the East Asian Occupation Brigade ("Ostasiatische Besatzungsbrigade") as of the 17th May 1901 and consisted of-

3 Infantry Regiments ("1.-3. Ostasiatische Infanterie Regiment")
1 Squadron of Mounted Infantry ("Ostasiatische Eskadron Jäger zu Pferd")
3 Batteries of Field Artillery ("1.-3. Ostasiatische Feld Artillerie Abteilung"), two of field artillery and one (the 2nd Battery) of mountain guns.
1 Pioneer Company ("Ostasiatische Pionier-Kompanie") with a telegraph detachment.
1 Train Company ("Ostasiatische Train-Kompanie") with a horse hospital
1 Medical Half Company ("Ostasiatische Sanitäts-Halbkompanie")
2 Field Hospitals ("1.-2. Ostasiatische Feldlazarette")
1 Depot Unit ("Ostasiatisches Etappen Kommandantur")

As the threat of rebellion further diminished in China so the Occupation Brigade was downsized. On the 1st May 1902 the 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Artillery Battery, horse hospital, Medical Half Company and Depot Unit were disbanded. On the 11th December 1902 the 2nd (Mountain) Artillery Battery and 2nd Field Hospital were disbanded.

The East Asian Detachment
On 6th March1906 the Occupation Brigade was renamed the East Asian Detachment ("Ostasiatische Detachement") and again partially disbanded down to a strength of 1,100 troops organised as 4 Infantry Companies and one Field Artillery Battery. These troops were based at Peking and Tientsin.

On 5th April 1909 the Germany Army Detachment was withdrawn entirely and replaced by the naval East Asian Marine Detachment ("Ostasiatische Marine-Detachement").

Those helms must be as rare as hen's teeth.Probably at the most 25,000 Germans saw service with this formation(1901-1909).

Peter

Extraordinary pictures. Thank-you for posting them.

Is that a M1898/02 bayonet in the last picture or just my wishful thinking?

That looks like one, but is most likely the Pfm 71/98.

They were used by the Ostasiatisches Expeditions-Korps, specifically by the Pionier-Batallion. The East Asian Expeditionary Corps were the first German troops to be armed with Gewehr 98 rifles in 1900. The Pfm 71/98 was made by removing the brass handle from Pfm 71's, and adding a handle suited to use with the Gew 98, similar to the S98 handles.

The S98/02 was evolved from the quick fix Pfm 71/98. Interesting to note that the brass handled Pfm 71 was manufactured up to 1904. Pioniers still were armed with Gew 88 rifles at that time.

Excellant avatar!

Thanks for the gen on the bayo Sensei. I initially thought a Pionierfaschinenmesser, but was thrown off course after comparing it with the few Pfm 71 pics I have.

Regarding the avatar, I kinda felt nude without one :D

peter h

This is a fantastic photo. Could you post a link, please?

I am not familiar with the AHF? What is it?

Is the photo taken in China? Dated? This is a truely cool photo. Thanks for posting it!

The first photo is kind of sad, a German honor guard being saluted by a French general and 9 years later they'd all be trying to kill each other!

Very related but this guy was in Shanghai–I learned much from Chris's site.
The Imperial German Army in China
http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolonialuniforms/hist%20china.htm

ps7 by joerookery, on Flickr

The East Asian Occupation Brigade
In 1901 with the Boxer Rebellion defeated, the East Asian Expeditionary Corps was disbanded and mostly recalled to Germany. A much smaller force of about 3,600 remained to occupy positions in various Chinese cities (including Peking, Tientsin, Shanghai, Shan Hai Kwan, Lanfang, Tangku and Yangtsun). This newly organised force was renamed the East Asian Occupation Brigade ("Ostasiatische Besatzungsbrigade") as of the 17th May 1901 and consisted of-

3 Infantry Regiments ("1.-3. Ostasiatische Infanterie Regiment")
1 Squadron of Mounted Infantry ("Ostasiatische Eskadron Jäger zu Pferd")
3 Batteries of Field Artillery ("1.-3. Ostasiatische Feld Artillerie Abteilung"), two of field artillery and one (the 2nd Battery) of mountain guns.
1 Pioneer Company ("Ostasiatische Pionier-Kompanie") with a telegraph detachment.
1 Train Company ("Ostasiatische Train-Kompanie") with a horse hospital
1 Medical Half Company ("Ostasiatische Sanitäts-Halbkompanie")
2 Field Hospitals ("1.-2. Ostasiatische Feldlazarette")
1 Depot Unit ("Ostasiatisches Etappen Kommandantur")
As the threat of rebellion further diminished in China so the Occupation Brigade was downsized. On the 1st May 1902 the 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Artillery Battery, horse hospital, Medical Half Company and Depot Unit were disbanded. On the 11th December 1902 the 2nd (Mountain) Artillery Battery and 2nd Field Hospital were disbanded.

ps7a by joerookery, on Flickr

Back