Tientsin 1905

Some information on the writing on each of the soldiers jackets.

Dear Joe,

In Chinese Pinying, it pronounced as: “bu dui er ying, di yi (er, san…) hao”. Which means “Second Infantry Battalion, Solider No 1 (No. 2,3,4….)”. I think it’s something like the Solider’s Nameplate but without names. J

Just for your information.

Kind regards from Shanghai,
Christine

Wylie,might post there later.Yen on AHF says they are numbers on their vests as well.

Another Ostasiatische Infanterie Regiment pic from: http://www.kopfwelten.org/kp/personen/kessler/

OstasiatischesRegiment.jpg

In 1907 a Chinese Company was added to Shanghai Volunteer Corps.

Another helm photo as well,from:
http://www.traditionsverband.de/download/pdf/MilitaerPolizeiChina.pdf

oab1.jpg

Back to that mysterious Shanghai photo. Thanks for getting a translation on the characters. Very interesting that it says 2nd Battalion, can there really have been two whole battalions of these men?

Over on Uniforms of the World, Sean said-
"Lovely photo. I think there are two alternatives. Firstly Imperial Chinese troops with an Austrian officer instructor. Or a gendarmerie force raised by the Austrians to police their sections/embassy grounds in China. As I have no knowledge of Chinese I cannot comment on the unit title stitched to the front of the jackets.

Interestingly they appear to carry Mauser 88 rifles and German style equipment, supporting the Imperial alternative.

I'm sure someone knows more on this than I can surmise.
Great post, thanks, I love this sort of thing"

http://uotw.heavenforum.com/t775-shanghai-municipal-police-or-volunteer-corps#2618

I hadn't considered the Austrian option, but now I come to think of it, those scalloped pockets, kepi... he is looking a bit KuK...

More thoughts?

Oh, and thank you Peter for more photos. I've put that first one on the Helmet Covers part of this forum, just because of that rare "5" on the covers.
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4294&start=50

The second one shows a soldier from probably the 5th or 6th Inf regt as he's got the field cap instead of the straw hat with the old Blue Litewka.

The last one shows a soldier from the East Asian Occupation Brigade. The interesting point here is his MP armband.

Great photos all of them!

Cheers
Chris

Here's some Imperial Chinese troops 1890s.

Uniforms look similar to those in Joe's photo.

ch1899.jpg

By 1905 Chinese uniforms were more of a European style.

ch1905.jpg

chinf.jpg

All pics from memoryofchina.org

Even though the photo studio states processed Shanghai it might be somewhere else,even Tientsin.After the Boxer Rebellion was crushed a lot of patroling continued around Peking as well.Perhaps an allied officer wanted to pose with some Manchu troops?His sleevebands also indicate navy?

I found this photo on that Chinese forum as well.Every year the foreign military attaches at Peking posed together for a group photo.This was taken in May 1914,within 3 months war would follow.Note lone German.

1914.jpg

From ebay.de,seller f-08-15,a few months ago.

Japanese & Germans together Peking 1900/1901.

I think thats Erich von Falkenhayn on right,next to Japanese officer.

china1-1.jpg

china2-1.jpg

No great solution here :( :( :(

ps760e by joerookery, on Flickr

Hi, Joe,

The characters pronounced as "Shanghai Guang Hui Lou Zuo", Which means "Produced/printed by Shanghai Guang Hui Building/Co., Ltd". Seems it's a printing company or a photoshop in Shanghai named "Guang Hui".

Cheerio,

Christine

Nice picture Peter. I found a very similar one at WikiMedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Graf_Waldersee_inspiziert_die_Italiener_1901.jpg ) with Waldersee inspecting the Italians.

800px-Graf_Waldersee_inspiziert_die_Italiener_1901.jpg

If the Italians are number 3 and the Americans are number 4. I wonder if there's a series of them with each of the eight nation alliance?

Cheers
Chris

Yes, Joe, that's a great photo. He's from the East Expeditionary Corps/Occupation Brigade in about 1901.

He's wearing the field grey uniform authorised 9/2/1901. Strangley though he's still wearing the 1900 straw hat, these were being discarded and replaced by kahki peaked caps as early as August 1900, it's rare to see them still worn alongside the field grey uniform and they were not included in the Feb 1901 regualtions. Interestingly this man's hat has only the large imperial cockade and no state cockade below it. The 1900 regualtions had a state cockade below the imperial cockade, the Feb1901 regualtions had no state cockade.

Also notice the equipment, grey leather individual ammunition pouches looking simialr to the army's later 1909 design. And a dragoon belt buckle... all this was regualtion for the East Asian troops from Feb 1901.

Most of my information on this topic comes from-
"Uniformierung und Austrüstung der Ostasiatischen Truppen des Deutschen Reiches 1900-1909" by Jürgen Kraus in Zeitschrift für Heereskunde Nos 375, 382 and 389 (unsure of last edition number)

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Chris

Back