Tin Kit pickelhaube

USN

Hello all,

I recently picked up this tin kit helmet and my knowledge on these isn't the most refined. The distance between the two slots for the plate are about 2.5 inches apart. Would the distance for the posts be similar to the plate be the same as a standard pickelhaube? Or were the plates for the tin kits different.

Thank you,
USN

Attachments

• 20211008_192316.jpg
    20211008_192316.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211008_192331.jpg
    20211008_192331.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20211008_192414.jpg
    20211008_192414.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
I don't think this is a tin kit helmet.
I believe that it is a Bing.

John

I don't think this is a tin kit helmet.
I believe that it is a Bing.

John
I suppose tin kit helmets didn't come in one solid shell like this one did they?

Hello all,

I recently picked up this tin kit helmet and my knowledge on these isn't the most refined. The distance between the two slots for the plate are about 2.5 inches apart. Would the distance for the posts be similar to the plate be the same as a standard pickelhaube? Or were the plates for the tin kits different.

Thank you,
USN
From the photos I see I can't say for sure that this is a Bing production. It seems to me that the shape of the body is very similar to a late production, the body in one piece with very thin edges and usually painted in feldgrau. See the side shape of the body.
The black tin models are usually in three pieces and as Skipper John has already said the base of the nail is particular with fake press-molded heads. However, this system does not apply to all manufacturers.
In these models , the plates have a particular central fixing hole and not two lateral holes.
This helmet has all the features of the later models but is painted in black (perhaps a repaint?), Has two large rectangular holes (too large and irregular) and the base of the nail and the nail are fixed with non-original rivets. Maybe the spike is not his too.
In my opinion, unfortunately this helmet has been retouched.

Risultati della traduzione​

From the photos I see I can't say for sure that this is a Bing production. It seems to me that the shape of the body is very similar to a late production, the body in one piece with very thin edges and usually painted in feldgrau. See the side shape of the body.
The black tin models are usually in three pieces and as Skipper John has already said the base of the nail is particular with fake press-molded heads. However, this system does not apply to all manufacturers.
In these models , the plates have a particular central fixing hole and not two lateral holes.
This helmet has all the features of the later models but is painted in black (perhaps a repaint?), Has two large rectangular holes (too large and irregular) and the base of the nail and the nail are fixed with non-original rivets. Maybe the spike is not his too.
In my opinion, unfortunately this helmet has been retouched.

Risultati della traduzione​

I have looked it over and I dont see any traces of green paint however I suppose someone could have stripped it before repainting it. I did acquire this as a restoration project so if it does in fact need a new spike I'll just add it to the list of things to acquire. This is my first tin pickelhaube so I am still doing research and trying to learn about these.

I do also have a M95 spike which matches the chinstrap lugs on this helmet better than the one thats currently on it so if I it does seem like the spike is replaced as well I have a better suited one for it

This one on French eBay sounds alot like the later war ones that you gentlemen have described.

I think the helmet is original. The tin kit helmets had a central mounting point, but the Bing and steel Ersatz had two holes/slots for a normal Wappen.
It could be one of these:

The shape looked wrong to me so I'm still guessing Bing.
Also the Bing was thinner material than the steel Ersatz. The dents look more "Bing" to me.
The steel ones have ridges in the shell that make it look like it was turned on a lathe.
I'm not seeing that here.

John

Reactions: USN
I think the helmet is original. The tin kit helmets had a central mounting point, but the Bing and steel Ersatz had two holes/slots for a normal Wappen.
It could be one of these:

The shape looked wrong to me so I'm still guessing Bing.
Also the Bing was thinner material than the steel Ersatz. The dents look more "Bing" to me.
The steel ones have ridges in the shell that make it look like it was turned on a lathe.
I'm not seeing that here.

John
I do see a few examples online with the same paint and shell construction and many different configurations, but most references and sellers seem to mix together "tin kit" and "bing" quite often. I unfortunately don't have any other helmets of this style in hand to compare it to as far as the thickness of the metal I'm afraid.

Also providing that the slots were made to fit standard wappens and not any kind of specialty made ones that would also make this either bavarian or saxon. Unfortunately there aren't any marks in the paint to tell which. (One benefit to the standard leather ones is you can usually tell if its been changed around or not lol)

Also providing that the slots were made to fit standard wappens and not any kind of specialty made ones that would also make this either bavarian or saxon. Unfortunately there aren't any marks in the paint to tell which. (One benefit to the standard leather ones is you can usually tell if its been changed around or not lol)
I'm not really sure if Bing made Pickelhauben for any state other than Bavaria. It seems that the only ones I've seen were Bavarian.

John

Reactions: USN
Back