tin/steel/ersatz size from new member

stmaix

Thank you to be there and I was looking forward.

I am a new member and was recomended by Joe
about a dilema with tin-steel Ersatz kind if I can put that way.

The best way to descibe the shape will be from
Casque a pointe VOL 1 page 113 # 7.
I did purchase this one from North of Belgium
as incomplete with the liner and Saxon wappen
which fit very well.

It is in one piece, sort of zinc/tombac with magnet sticking on it.
it is covered by black paint and the way it is made
let me think it is old.

The main question is regarding the size as 21 inches
the best I could measure, which is about size 54.
Did they really have such small size ?
At first, I thought it was a child helmet... and now I don't know anymore.

Again, I believe to be a vintage by the way it is made,
and my first reaction was, if someone would bother to reproduce, they would have done it with bigger size ????

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.
I struggle to post these photos and actually have no idea to do this.
Nevertheless, I can email a few to any request.

Thank you so much !
Stmaix

Hello Stmaix,
The small size is very common, you must remember that 100 years ago, nearly every one was malnourished, many people lived on the verge of starvation. This resulted in smaller bodies than we see now.
We would like to see photos of your helmet, and Joe will want to see a photo of any marks that it has.
Be very welcome on the forum.
Best wishes from the new world
Gus

Thank you for the reply,
Joe has the photos anyway,
just confused how to post them here.
Also confused to know excatly if it is a genuine item or what.
As said at first I thought it was a child, or a remake,
but at first it is well done, and
also why someone would go to do something so small ?

But I know you are right about small size,
I still have my grand father uniform from this period
and cannot fit at all, not a chance !

Anyway, I have to find the way for these photos
and in the meantime, may be I can forward a few
to have your opinion.
the helmet has missing parts, and my interest is
to complete it, it it worth it !
Thank you again
Stmaix.

He Stmaix,
Posting photos is very easy, It is best (in my opinion) to start with a photobucket.com account, you can load photos to this account from your computer. (the basic account is free)
Once you have the photos on photobucket, all you need to do is put the cursor arrow on the photo thumbnail (do not click) You will get a drop down menu, move the cursor arrow to the bottom option and click on it, this will highlight the address in blue, then push "ctrl" and "C" and you have it copied, then go to the message body on this forum and you can push "ctrl and "V" and it should copy the address to the message, you do not need to worry about the buttosn as they are already on the address.
Best wishes
Gus
ps I hope my poor English can be understood:)

saxon-side.jpg

saxon-front.jpg

saxon-side.jpg

saxon-back.jpg

saxon-hole.jpg

saxon-wapback.jpg

saxon-lock.jpg

Thank you for the help,,,as said here is the beast!
found incomplete and was set with fake part as spike
which I dont show... I am not sure about the wappen,
and about the sell, it is someway too well done to be
made as a repro, and why have done it is such small size.
no marking, but the paint is heavy
and it is not impossible there is some,
at one spot I could guess a H on the back of
the rear visor...

Looking forward your comments
Thank you

It certainly has that squat look of a steel helmet. I don't know what the bolts on the front and the back are about, and the wappen mounting system. Looks like a kit helmet type. I was drawn to the loops on the back of the wappen. These look more Prussian than Saxon, but I don't know if all Saxons use the D-shape. One of the theories I have worked on is that these kinds of helmets. Once withdrawn from the front were marked with the letter G. Similarly rated helmets from Hesse I think were marked with a letter B. I don't know what B stands for yet. :read2: :read2: :read2:

I have hat size 54! :D So, the size still exists in Europe, and is still sold in hat shops. I must admit , that these smaller sizes of hats (52,54, 56) are more and more hard to get. :twisted: But 54 is not that an uncommon size.

Thanks for the feedback, and I understand the small size. Apparently a lot of variation in these helmet and not at all is known. The "bolts" around are actually holding the liner. The metal is magnetizing but has a funny looks as Zinc or tombac. I am strugling to define the origin... at first I was incline as a remake but there are too many details from the era and I am coming back to the same question: why some one would you do something so difficult to make and so low end (if I can say). I have seen in other books the same shape... any additional thoughts will be appreciated.

Went to Piere website...very impressive... did not see Reims battle as Pompelle ???

Thank you, Stmaix, for visiting! I am still not ready with photographing the whole Western Front. There are more gaps to fill in for me, like i.e. Cambrai.
So, my work is not finished yet, and probably will not finish completely, because there is more to be found, than I ever thought before, when I started my personal project of years. I have also plans to cover once in my life parts of the the Italian - Austrian front in the Julian Alpes.

Back