To good to be true

Rem

Hi everybody,

I am a novice collector and lover of pickelhaube and new to this site/forum.

I get the chance to buy a Prussian general helmet for 1800 euros. I know they normally do between 2500 and 4500. According to the seller, everything is original. attached the photos. I would like to hear your opinion on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221115-200504_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-200504_Samsung Internet.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20221115-200459_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-200459_Samsung Internet.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20221115-200456_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-200456_Samsung Internet.jpg
    754.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20221115-200444_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221115-200444_Samsung Internet.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 83
Welcome to the Forum Rem,
as far as I see it looks ok for me. But I would request more photos of inside and the leather of the chinscales. Because of the high rosettes it seems to be a M15. The seller is from UK, so regard evtl. customs.

Hoi , is 1800 euro niet te weinig voor een generaal helm (of is dit een officiershelm algemene staff?) Ik heb mij laten vertellen dat generaal helmen over het algemeen weggaan voor 2500 tot 4500?

Hoi , is 1800 euro niet te weinig voor een generaal helm (of is dit een officiershelm algemene staff?) Ik heb mij laten vertellen dat generaal helmen over het algemeen weggaan voor 2500 tot 4500?
This is a very low estimate. 5000 to 8000 euro, for a nice example, is more realistic at the moment.

Dank voor jullie antwoorden, heb ik het goed dat het hier niet om een generaal helm gaat maar een algemene helm van een staff officier?

Dank voor jullie antwoorden, heb ik het goed dat het hier niet om een generaal helm gaat maar een algemene helm van een staff officier?
I can't speak Dutch but I guess I understand your question. Still better if you could write in English, please...
It might be a Prussian 1st Garde Dragoner officer helmet, to which a fluted (ill-fitting) spike has been added. This is not a spike for a general helmet though. See below for a real one. In addition, colours don't look right: are the cruciform spike basis and the spike itself made of white metal ?... All fittings should be in gold colour. Does the eagle plate belong to this helmet? Have you seen the reverse aspect and shell behind ?

L1030094.JPG

The spike does not look to be a general's helmet spike. It looks like a bavarian officer spike.

A general's spike is rolled on the bottom like in the above picture...

I can't speak Dutch but I guess I understand your question. Still better if you could write in English, please...
It might be a Prussian 1st Garde Dragoner officer helmet, to which a fluted (ill-fitting) spike has been added. This is not a spike for a general helmet though. See below for a real one. In addition, colours don't look right: are the cruciform spike basis and the spike itself made of white metal ?... All fittings should be in gold colour. Does the eagle plate belong to this helmet? Have you seen the reverse aspect and shell behind ?

View attachment 26973
All good points
the old saying is
"if it is too good to be true , then it is "
Steve

Steve and Bruno (911car) are correct.
I am Dutch, so understood every word you wrote about the helmet.
Ik zou als ik jou was eerst betere foto's willen zien, maar mijn eerste gevoel zegt dat het niet goed zit.
(In english: If I were you, I'd like to see better pictures, but my gut feeling tells me it isn't right.)
Too many questions about this one, I'm afraid.

Regards, Coert.

Steve and Bruno (911car) are correct.
I am Dutch, so understood every word you wrote about the helmet.
Ik zou als ik jou was eerst betere foto's willen zien, maar mijn eerste gevoel zegt dat het niet goed zit.
(In english: If I were you, I'd like to see better pictures, but my gut feeling tells me it isn't right.)
Too many questions about this one, I'm afraid.

Regards, Coert.
I prefer to go by to buy a pickelhaube. Due to my lack of experience (novice collector and enthusiast), I find it difficult to buy from a distance based on photos

Back