To translate or not? That is the question!

Khukri

-as a Belgian Flemish/Dutch speaker in 2010/2011; I decided to translate both the Jean-Louis Larcade Volumes. From French to Dutch and English. Mr. Larcade chose the French translation of all Imperial German terminology on Units; headgear; uniforms etc; etc... I stick to the original-German terminology; to me: that makes sense.
-I have the greatest respect for Units names and the Units traditions.
-Both sides of the wire.

Last edited:
Definitely loose something in translation from the original German to French or Dutch. Same thing could be said about any cross over translation. The military has a language that is entirely it's own regardless of which country it is from. I agree with you on trying to keep the language to the items origin. I do appreciate you doing that work to translate it from the French to English and such.
Is that translated book available to purchase in English?

Best Regards,

JustinG

another forum member did this years ago and translated to English and then put into 2 Hard cover volumes which I bought a set. Love it, no pictures, but translated for the language impaired like me.

James

It certainly would, though M. Larcade's original prompts me to use my rusty French - so good brain exercise!

G***le translate on this topic..?..Forget it...
Well, I'm lucky to have had French at a higher level at school, and later, learned a lot more from my French girlfriend, and found out the real French language can only be learned correctly from French people. School French is not the same as it is from French people.
Something to do with theory, and practical.

Well, I'm lucky to have had French at a higher level at school, and later, learned a lot more from my French girlfriend, and found out the real French language can only be learned correctly from French people. School French is not the same as it is from French people.
Something to do with theory, and practical.
Correct Coert! This translation was a very good exercise on the terminology. To learn how many things are translated and used incorrectly. So .. Terminology on German headgear...stays German. .I might go for the complete translation to Deutsch next...But...no 13 year project this time.. Fun: 😎Two Dutch/Flemish speakers communicate in English....

Last edited:
Correct Coert! This translation was a very good exercise on the terminology. To learn how many things are translated and used incorrectly. So .. Terminology on German headgear...stays German. .I might go for the complete translation to Deutsch next...But...no 13 year project this time.. Fun: 😎Two Dutch/Flemish speakers communicate in English....
Dutch "ONDERSCHRIFTEN"(captions). Finished.

Hello,
I learnt this the hard way when I made my first contribution here on this forum. I translated the word "post side" from French into English. The google translator translated it as trunnion with cock,
which got me into trouble with the member I was replying to, who thought I was insulting him.
Fortunately, Philippe (Argonne) was quick to provide me with a "lexicon" of the components of a spiked helmet (read spine, post side etc...).

-Finished! Text and captions-
English and Dutch. (Nope...NO G....e Translate).
....and...who knows...German next.... ....but I need a typist!
-Up to date: the best reference books ever-
-Thank you Monsieur Jean-Louis Larcade!-

Enjoyed this work. [2010-2011-2024]
-Now: looking for a good way to mark the covers...

Attachments

• 20240211_160923.jpg
    20240211_160923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thats easy. Just make a photo of the cover and take the colors of the backgrounds with the pipette. Then cover the text with a textfield with that background color and replace the text with the title in your chosen language. With the result I would order for a custom-made dust jacket for books.

Thats easy. Just make a photo of the cover and take the colors of the backgrounds with the pipette. Then cover the text with a textfield with that background color and replace the text with the title in your chosen language. With the result I would order for a custom-made dust jacket for books.
Good idea Sandy.

Back