Transport case made of sheet metal

As they had a shortage in leather helmets they made there transport cases in metal
that could be a possibilaty :oops:

Just a wild guess

Jonas

Sheet metal or tin carrying cases were popular with the British from the early 1800's. I have seen military examples in museums here in Canada, often with the officers name painted on the outside. Occasionally, in antique stores you see the leather cases for the beaver top hats. I think the "cone" shape is unique to the hauben but again I could be wrong in throwing that idea out for discussion. All of the pickelhaube cases I have seen have been cardboard with leather straps and handles. Some have round metal studs on the bottom for protection. They are often lined with cheap cotton cloth padding.

Very cool grouping, I have owned many. many coffers over the years, but never a metal one or tin. Britain used tin very often so it more then possible.

makes total sense with the shortage of leather or other fabrics that this is a good one.

Very cool, I think Brian will start a new category on these.

James

b.loree said:
Sheet metal or tin carrying cases were popular with the British from the early 1800's. I have seen military examples in museums here in Canada, often with the officers name painted on the outside. Occasionally, in antique stores you see the leather cases for the beaver top hats. I think the "cone" shape is unique to the hauben but again I could be wrong in throwing that idea out for discussion. All of the pickelhaube cases I have seen have been cardboard with leather straps and handles. Some have round metal studs on the bottom for protection. They are often lined with cheap cotton cloth padding.

I have an American metal storage/carrying case as well. I'm sure there were options for wealthy or well-to-do customers in all nations.

Nice Pioneer helmet! Could it be that this person had a shop make this as a one-off? Might have thought the normal case wouldn't offer enough protection or was planning on taking this to the front? Remember engineers love creating all sorts of fun stuff in their shops.

:D Ron

This one is back on the market:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pickelhaube-Pioniere-Spiked-Helmet-Casque-a-Pointe-/371665703255?hash=item5689009157:g:b9cAAOSwM4xXbnUV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Compared with the result of the auction in the beginning of May, the price has risen slightly ...

Back