Tribute to Canada

I have to say, and this might make people mad, but every military person I know is aware of Canadian military achievement. This article seems very sad and is not indicative of anything that I have seen or heard. In fact, it was very openly noticed that in my current war, the Canadians were absent for the first time. And, I have never heard from one person that it was because the Canadian military didn't want to help, it was because of politics which have nothing to do with military individuals and what they think or do as there duty.

I don’t know this author but I do know Canadian Military soldiers and sailors and have had the pleasure of serving with a few exchange officers. I think the world knows how valiant Canadians are and I could care less about a few Somalians (we will be back there very soon I am afraid) who were killed.

Just my two cents.

Like Paul, I share the same high regard for Canadians of all walks of life. My paternal grandmother's father, plus some siblings, migrated to Ohio from Ontario in the early 1900s; the men being a commercial traveler (my Great-Grandfather) and an Epsicopal Reverend (my Great-Great Uncle Bob). My Great-Great Uncle Jim was a doctor and remained in Maganetawan District ( known now as Magnetawan). His two sons, my first cousins twice removed, both served in the CEF in France. No one has to lecture me about the debt the world owes to Canada.

The writer seems to forget that North America is not just Canada and the U.S., but also Mexico. I know I felt alienated by the Myers' tone, and can only imagine how my neighbors to the south might react to his words.

Furthermore, Myers' comments about entertainers (why does everything devolve to the level of celebrity?) is telling. The list of luminaries he cites "have in the popular perception become American..." Whose popular perception is he discussing? It's not mine. Furthermore, he ignored the likes of Fay Wray, Walter Pidgeon, Norma Shearer, Peter Jennings (not an actor), Pamela Anderson (definitely not an actress), et al.

Most expatriates taking up the profession in "Hollyweird," become U.S. citizens to avoid paying federal income and inheritance taxes to two countries. Walter Huston's son, John, an acclaimed director born in Nevada, Missouri in 1906, took up permanent residence in Republic of Ireland in the 1950s due to a more friendly tax structure. Financial incentive usually wins out against Nationalism in every contest. Besides, any Canadian is a North American regardless of which side of the 49th parallel he calls home. Additionally, he remains a Canadian as long as he tells someone, "I was born in St. John, New Brunswick," etc.

Kevin Myers is guilty of the same arrogance shared by many "intellectuals" in England. He says "American" when he actually means the United States (much in the way the word "British" is used politically when the speaker really means England). The Scots, Welsh, and Irish have their own views on the subject.

When Myers uses phrases like "The world thanked Canada with the same sublime indifference....," he really should say "England."

Has he forgotten a time, not so long ago, when England regarded Canadians as "Minions of the Dominion?" I doubt the man has even visited the country. In fairness, his words were published in the Sunday Telegraph and intended for UK consumption. Look at the magic his half baked concoction evokes when it hits the Internet.

In answer to the insulting question, "So who today in the United States knows about the stoic and selfless friendship its northern neighbour has given it in Afghanistan?," my reply is "anyone who pays the slightest attention to world events." Afghanistan is a NATO operation. I wonder if Mr. Myers can name the other countries involved. Would he know Iceland is one of them?

Aren't political sermons a drag?

However, three cheers for Canada and her citizens. The U.S. also stands on guard for thee.

Chas.

On a lighter note, the word "America" comes from the Italian explorer, Amerigo Vespucci. Thank goodness we weren't saddled with the handle "North Vespuccia."

Back