Trip to Idaho and the famous Gus Collection

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
First part of the trip from the airport to Gus's house stopped at the Hill Air Force Museum by Ogden Utah.

Great museum that is free to the public with both outside and inside displays of tons of aircraft from WWI through modern times with a bunch of WWII vintage planes.

Couple WWI U.S. Cannons on display as well as display of Frank Browning's son of the famous John Browning.

Looks like a great museum, but the mannequin's pose is a little strange. Looks like he's taking a leak.

And now on to Gus's collection which all I can say is top notch and displayed in his collection containers as good as anything you will ever see, the collection is extensive and skillfully done.

Had a great time and spent much time in the containers as well as driving around in one of his WWII Ford Jeeps and WWI Ambulance.

thanks Gus and Maggie for being great hosts!

This Luger is one of my favorite pieces he has, as it was my late brothers pride and joy, was happy to pass it on to Gus when he passed.

Absolutely unbelievable, incredible and amazing! Puts a lot of museums to shame.

Well done Gus and thanks for the pictures James.

Peter

Truly breath taking, incredible, astounding and a lot of other adjectives that I can't think of right now. Simply amazing.........

Thanks for all the comments, I have to admit, I did not know it was that good and I do not know how the homeless guy got in, he did not sign in the guest book. In the past two and a half years since I started this project, we have had over 200 people through the collection. With covid lock down being about half that time the amount of foot traffic is probably down, but when you consider 95% of the traffic had to travel over 12 miles to see the collection and we have had two large groups travel over 200 miles, I think we have done OK. It is nice to be able to allow the public in to the collection.

Very cool....a simply amazing collection! A question for Gus when I see him at the SOS.....what militaria don't you have ? 😀

Thanks for all the comments, I have to admit, I did not know it was that good and I do not know how the homeless guy got in, he did not sign in the guest book. In the past two and a half years since I started this project, we have had over 200 people through the collection. With covid lock down being about half that time the amount of foot traffic is probably down, but when you consider 95% of the traffic had to travel over 12 miles to see the collection and we have had two large groups travel over 200 miles, I think we have done OK. It is nice to be able to allow the public in to the collection.

Did James pay the entrance fee?

Golly! Guess I might have to make the effort to go and see this display. Who knew? Thanks for the kind words James!

It is interesting to look at James' photos, they are taken from a different perspective than I normally look at the collection and I see it differently. I have to admit, if it wasn't for the great community of collectors that we have, I would not have this good of a collection, or have it as well displayed as it is. When I first started collecting in the 60s and 70s, it took weeks or months to make any contact with other collections other than at gun shows. Now it is possible to ask questions and get answers in just minutes. I want to especially thank Brian and Tony as they were two the earliest contacts that I made in this collecting community through the internet. I think I am lucky to have been able to meet close to half the internet contacts in person over the years.

Really an outstanding collection!

It's quite an achievement to have pulled that amount of memorabilia together. Nice to see a couple of Ross rifles on display.

Back