Troddeln colors

Gustaf

Staff member
Does any one know diffinatively the correct color combination for Troddeln, this is what Glenn's site shows
http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~maampo/militaer/milindex.html
But Johan Somers' book shows the colours reversed , one of these refferences has to be wrong, but which?
Gus

Gus,

Is this what you're looking for?
tafel183.jpg

Yes Joe, that is what I wanted, that conferms that Johan is correct and the Pocket German Army refference is incorrect.
Gus

Gus,

This list is just the prewar list of foot troop's knots as of 1914. It does not include many other knots, such as those of the Unteroffizierschule, the cadets of the military schools, the wartime expansion of the company numbers (which went up to 17), etc. You would not believe the combinations of colors that existed beyond these.

Chip

Thanks Chip,
Figuring out the company up to 16th should be easy as there are four colours, giving a compination of 16, but the 17th wold have to add a colour. I suspect that there are few war time Troddeln. But the reason I asked for a refferance was becaus I was having a discussion with T. P. about colours, and he sent me a link to Glenn's site, and it was opposite from what I thought and what Johan had in his book.
Best wishes
Gus

Gus,

The 17th Komp. was another MG Komp. and the colors of the knot are Green/White/Green. I have one with a gray strap and tassles. :salute:

Chip

zips,

The Jäger knot for most battalions was green, with the exception of the two prewar Bavarian Jäger battalions, which wore regular infantry style company knots.

Chip

Also note the listing of colors: it's alway white for 1, red for 2, yellow for 3 and blue for 4. In German they use the memory aid "Wir Rauchen Gerne Brasil" (We like to smoke Brasil tobacco)
The stalk of the troddel represents the bataillon, the crown and loop are representing the company.

KAGGR 1870 said:
Hello
Here is one good link for Troddel
http://www.bajonett.at/rund/troddel/infnanterie_1.htm
Regards
Ahh, but the 7th and 10th companys are mixed up in his illustrations
Gus

I don't know how useful this is but I was researching something completely different and found a major difference in the pictures provided by Ruhl in three different editions. These pictures come from the 1899, and 1900 editions. In the 1902 edition there were no pictures at all of these.
trodel0005800.jpg

trodel0006800.jpg

trodel0007800.jpg

trodel0008800.jpg

trodel0009800.jpg

trodel0003800.jpg

trodel0004800.jpg

Hey Joe,
That is fantastic, I have to admit that I had to look up C(K)apitulanten, as I did not know it also means to re-enlist, I guess you capitulate to the recruiter rather than to the enemy.
Best wishes
Gus

C(K)apitulanten

It was one of those spelling changes. This guy was slow to make changes as he still had the old cockade from Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach in color even though it changed in 1897. Glad you found it of some use.

PS. Janet just took the file down to Kinko's :D :D :D :D

Back