Tschakas...

trumpetfirst

New guy here. This forum was recommended as a possible source for help in identifying the uniforms and tschakas in the attached photo. Any additional comments would be welcome as well...perhaps the rifle types and photo time frame? Typical family "shoebox" photo with no information on the reverse. If I have learned anything through the years, it is to go through as many of my photos as possible and make notations for the future! Thanks, Larry

image_1019.jpg

The rifles are Gewehr 88s. The pic is from between about 1910-1914, if I'm not mistaken. The gentleman on the far right was in the German army in 1897, since he wears the Kaiser Wilhelm Centennial Medal.

Welcome to the Forum Larry,

Thanks for posting a great photo.

The man on the far left is an Unteroffizier (roughly equivilent to a corporal) and has a marksmanship lanyard across his right breast.

One small spelling point, it's a Tschako not Tschaka.

Cheers
Chris

chrispaulodale said:

Cheers
Chris

Thanks...I stand corrected. The spelling I used was from a website
and was a new term for me! We all learn something each day.

trumpetfirst said:
chrispaulodale said:

Cheers
Chris

Don't feel bad, when somewhat dyslexic me started collecting, I scolded a fellow for saying 'Tschapka' rather than my dyslexic 'Tahp-sha' version... :oops: Like you said, live and learn!

:D Ron

trumpetfirst said:
chrispaulodale said:

Cheers
Chris

I too have made some terrible spelling errors in my time. One that I'm not very proud of I put on my website, then before I'd seen and corrected it, other people had copied my mistake and used it on more websites and forums... :eek:

Ooops!

Chris

Back