Tschapka 13th reg officer rosetten colour?

beerens

I recently came across an original officer's tschapka of the 13th regiment (Koningsulanen). All parts are in original condition, but it's rosettes, which connect the schupenketten to the tschapka are silver instead of gilt. So far I only come across gilt rosetten in literature. Are there any silver samples known, or is there some explanation available for these silver items?

Thanks in advance,

Ad

Dear 911car,

Thanks for your email. Unfortunaly, I don't have the tschapka available yet, to make pictures. I can describe the case: In literature, tschapka's of the 13 th regiment ulanen have gilt curved chinstraps and agilt curved rosetten. The eagle is silver, so is the visor edge. The tschapka I came across looks very original in all parts, but has silver, curved rosetten at gilt chinstraps. As I know officers sometimes had their own way to get dressed, I wonder if samples of such silver, instead of gilt rosetten are available.

Kind regards from Holland,

Ad

Hello Ad,
Chinscales on this Tschapka should be all yellow metal and I doubt that an officer could have taken the freedom of adding silver parts...
Besides this flaw, how is the condition?...
With best wishes,
Bruno

Tony, beerens wrote they are silver and I took his word... of course if they were made of zinc it should be another story. This is easy to verify. Such a prestigious headgear as an UR13 officer Tschapka with cheap gold-plated zinc fittings... why not? It may have existed.
Bruno

I was just thinking that could be the case, as with so many wartime officer helmets they are often a mix of guilded brass and zinc. If they are actually silver, well, then I have no clue either. :-k

Dear gentlemen,

Thanks for sharing thoughts about the officer's Ulanen tschapka reg. 13. The rosetten are definitly silver, and no zinc. Possibly the wrong rosetten have been added last 90 years and they should be replaced with gilt one's. The general condition is good (2 to 2+). It is a tschapka 1900 -1910 model. It is in Germany now. Within a month I expect to get some pictures which I will add to the forum.

Thanks for your help.

Back