Tschapka ersatz or pre-ersatz

klink

Gentlemen,

Here is my new acquisition.
A pre-ersatz tschapka with a non removable metal top.
I think it's the same of Tony's website.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh56.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's maker marked A. Wunderlich, 56,5 and dated 1915.
It's my first tschapka, and I'm very happy with it !. \:D/

The metal top with some dots of paint, I think from the garage !!.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Great helmet and I can imagine that you are pleased with it. Thanks for sharing :D

Best regards,

Edwin

Excellent, Congratulations. I would like to point out the solder re enforcement on the back of the wappen (legs). I have seen this before (rarely) on Prussian officer wappen. They would solder thin wire renforcements to those parts of the wappen that were most likely to break. Very cool to see it on an OR wappen.

Congratulations and wellcome in the very private club of the Tschapkas' owners!
It's a very interesting helmet because there was a single maker for this "hybrid" model. The most part of those I saw in the past were localized in USA and that drives me to believe that they were "War Bond Helmets". The most part of them are in near mint condition and that drives me to believe that these helmets were never issued. Probably because they were made during the early year 1915 and not correct with the regulations of april and september 1915.
I recently bought one of them, here you are mine :

Maxime

Congratulations! Very nice; particularly with chinscales!
Here is another one. Exactly the same model. Pretty mint too, and also of US origin.

L1000357.jpg

PICKELMAX said:
Congratulations and wellcome in the very private club of the Tschapkas' owners!
It's a very interesting helmet because there was a single maker for this "hybrid" model. The most part of those I saw in the past were localized in USA and that drives me to believe that they were "War Bond Helmets". The most part of them are in near mint condition and that drives me to believe that these helmets were never issued. Probably because they were made during the early year 1915 and not correct with the regulations of april and september 1915.

Maxime I have seen a few that were well worn, not just aged. As these are identical to a M1894 except with a metal top which is riveted on, I place these in the catagory of Ersatz, but as you said, all made in 1915. I believe the clever use of a tin top to reduce leather developed into the removable M1915 tin top.

My Sachsen is dated 1915 and marked to the manufacturer A. Wunderlich Berlin. (Beautiful example Klink, but I would toss the Fangschnur on ebay as replica and be done with them)

dbh56.jpg

Tony without Kaiser said:
Maxime I have seen a few that were well worn, not just aged.

Thanks Tony, it's an important information for me because that means that it's possible to find some old pictures showing Uhlans wearing these Tschapkas.

Back