Tschapka?

pointystuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Prussian-Pickelhaube-Spike-Helmet-Ulanen_W0QQitemZ6582593551QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I'm not sure what the mortarboard is made of, but evidently some bidders see something there that they want.
Brad

This one has been mentioned in another message on the forum yesterday.
The Fangschnurr seems to be genuine. The rest is worthless...

Good afternoon, All!

In fairness to us newbies still struggling with what a good 'haube is all about, I thought I'd take a run at listing the deficiencies of this gem. I won't pretend to be an expert or even experienced, just trying to exercise the old grey matter:

1) The chinscales strike me as being set very high on the sides of the helm, when you look at the profiles.

2) The bolts holding the rosettes and chinscales in place look far too large.

3) The liner is completely wrong - looks like rose-coloured suede or something.

4) It may be the way the liner is sewn on, but the helmet shell, itself, does not seem to have the right shape in profile. It should curve down more towards the base of the skull.

5) The front visor trim (brass) seems to reach too far into the main part of the helm, like it has been taken from a line troops' helmet and used it in a bad restoration job.

6) The chinscales are too heavy.

7) The chinscale rosettes are flat and should be curved.

8) It may be the lighting, but the wappen looks like a brass star on a brass bird.

Well, that's a start. Please do add your own observations and correct me where I am being unjustly wrong.

Cheers,

Laurie

Laurie

I think you did an admirable job of dissecting this piece.

I would just add that the visible front visor stitching is definately not "kosher" on an ulan tschapka.

Dave

Excellent, Laurie. Conversely, you could have tried to list what is right and your message would have been short. To the present list you could ask that the top does not seem to have the right dimension relative to the shell, and that the inside of the shell and visor have a funny appearance (looks like suede...).
The only point on which I disagree with you is the first one. Chinscale attachments are located relatively high on Tschapka shells.
Best wishes

Thats it, you've convinced me, I'm gonna go for it!
Seriously though, people are bidding on this heap. $385 and up. Even I can see it's rough and I'm still wet behind the ears!

Thank you, guys.

That's why this forum is great!

I'll post a photo later to show what Dave means about the front visor stitching.

Cheers,

Laurie

911car said:
Chinscale attachments are located relatively high on Tschapka shells.
As Bruno mentioned. Often they are very high. Especially on the M1867 models.

dbh53dd.jpg

Thank you, Tony. As always, your example and explanation are spot-on.

Tony's picture also demonstrates the correct curve, back towards the base of the skull for the bottom edge of the tschapka's cap. Also, you can see that the seam attaching his tschapka's visor to the main cap is hidden.

To explain, a correctly sewn tschapka visor is sewn flipped up, so the outside surface of the visor is facing the outside surface of the front of the helmet's skullcap. When the sewing of the visor is complete, the visor is then folded back down and hammered flat to produce a very neat 'hidden' seam.

I have attached a photo of my own M1915 tschapka to demonstrate. The small inset photo is of a helmet with the visor sewn incorrectly - sorry it's not that clear:

tschapka-demo.jpg

Thank you once again, everyone, for an excellent learning experience.

Cheers,

Laurie

Good day, All!

Here we are, 4 days to go and at $664 and rising. What is it about this ad that is attracting so much attention and so many $$$$?

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Prussian-Pickelhaube-Spike-Helmet-Ulanen_W0QQitemZ6582593551QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,

Laurie

kaiserzeit said:
What is it about this ad that is attracting so much attention and so many $$$$?

1. Lack of references; and

2. Lack of knowledge.

Sad, as as anyone bidding could do a fast internet search and end up here>> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/tschapka.htm

Does the one for sale look anything like an original once you compare?

Hi Laurie,
I thnik there are a lot of people with more dollars then sense.
Gus

Back