Turkish Spiked Helmet

That is an interesting helmet. I have long wondered exactly "how" the spike itself became so popular across Europe and the Middle East apparently at the same time. There is the argument that the Russians can be credited with starting the spike trend, which the Prussians adopted and their (Prussian) military success led others to follow. I'm not really sure I buy that entirely as the spike as appeared in India at about the same time it appeared in Russia.

I am of the opinion it sort of came out of Persia to Russia and India, and both the British and Russians were taken by it. The spike had a mystique from the east and travelled to the west as a fashion statement.

Peter_Suciu said:
That is an interesting helmet. I have long wondered exactly "how" the spike itself became so popular across Europe and the Middle East apparently at the same time. There is the argument that the Russians can be credited with starting the spike trend, which the Prussians adopted and their (Prussian) military success led others to follow. I'm not really sure I buy that entirely as the spike as appeared in India at about the same time it appeared in Russia.

I am of the opinion it sort of came out of Persia to Russia and India, and both the British and Russians were taken by it. The spike had a mystique from the east and travelled to the west as a fashion statement.

Maybe the spike was a way of making it appear as if an army had more weapons than it was actually carrying. The spikes on the tips of spears / pikes, then the ones on the helmets increased the 'forest of weapons' facing an opponent. Of course they could have been decorative or an indication that the person wearing this on their head was also 'spiritually' a warrior. It is indeed an interesting question.

:D Ron

poniatowski said:
Maybe the spike was a way of making it appear as if an army had more weapons than it was actually carrying. The spikes on the tips of spears / pikes, then the ones on the helmets increased the 'forest of weapons' facing an opponent. Of course they could have been decorative or an indication that the person wearing this on their head was also 'spiritually' a warrior. It is indeed an interesting question.

It is interesting when you look at the evolution of uniforms. The French, British, America, Prussian, etc. used the tri-corn hats in the late 18th century, but by the Napoleonic Wars all the armies had evolved so the jacket cuts were different and the headgear of the infrantry were typically shakos - cavalry was still all over the place.

By the time of the Franco-Prussian War shakos were pretty much on the way out, the French had kepis, the Germans were used Pickelhaubes, etc. As I said I think it was this sudden appreciation with things Eastern, which is why the spike is seen so many places.

As to the original post about the Turkish use I think it was common that elite guards were still wearing metal helmets and the Turks were looking to westernize - which ironically was to have this Eastern influence!

Indeed! It would still be interesting to know exactly why spikes were introduced, no matter where they originated. To make the soliders look fierce? As an additional weapon for head butting somebody so they could cave in the back of your head / spine with a mace or butt of their sword? (nope IMHO). I've been looking through some art history books as well, trying to see what I could find. I agree with your 'migration' of the spike from culture to culture.

Interesting helmet and the origin of the spike is indeed quite puzzling.

Regards,

Edwin

Back