Two brothers in arms: 92 and 93DIV US

Jupiter66

Here is the culmination of an old dream: to bring together two models of soldiers of the 92nd and 93rd DIV ..

When the United States entered the war in 1917, a large number of African-Americans joined the army hoping to find a way of emancipation, a place in American society, then strongly marked by racial segregation.

In fact, 80% of men of colour who serve in France are assigned to non-combatant worker units. However, two African-American divisions were formed, the 92nd and 93rd infantry divisions.

Arriving on 4 May 1918, the 93rd US DIV was immediately put at the disposal of General Pétain and found itself entirely under French command. These soldiers then kept the American uniform, American jacket and panties model 1912 and 1917, but were equipped and armed by the French army.20230929_170333.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - an extraordinary display! The history of the regiments of the 93rd (the 369th Harlem Hellfighters in particular) is utterly remarkable. Thanks for sharing!

Hello everyone

Thanks for your messages.😊

It’s part of my US WW1 collection and it’s in my attic. I reaménagé my attic to represent a trench ( rough walls, wooden boards,....)🙂

But, an interesting thread as well,... traveling through France I'm always looking for US memorials, markers en monuments.
QT
In fact, 80% of men of colour who serve in France are assigned to non-combatant worker units.
UQT
Found only one recent dedicated, but Canadian memorial, at Supt/Jura region/France: Canadian Forestry Corp (2nd Construction Company).

Attachments

• USWW1Guide.JPG
    USWW1Guide.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • P1140515.JPG
    P1140515.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Hello everyone

Thanks for your messages.😊

It’s part of my US WW1 collection and it’s in my attic. I reaménagé my attic to represent a trench ( rough walls, wooden boards,....)🙂
I just hope that it don't get too hot up in your attic
Super display
Steve

This is very cool to see. The 92nd and 93rd Harlem Hellfighters are seldom talked about in many places, however have a very interesting story that many don't care to see. Also interesting because most people think of Black Americans fighting in the Civil War, but do not really mention the parts they played in the first and second world wars. Very interesting, and very nice uniforms.

Back