Überrocking in the New Year #1: Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regt. Nr.1

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
To start 2020 off, here is an absolutely superb Überrock for Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Götz Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben who served in the prestigious Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regt. Nr.1 (Berlin) Garde-Korps.

The daily uniform for an Officer was the Überrock. I love Überrock; so elegant and stylish. To me they epitomize the Preußen officer.

To see the Überrock photos and the standard write-up, click  Here.

The Garde officer's Pickelhaube is an old friend, I obtained it in 1986. To see the Pickelhaube click Here.

The Schirmmütze is near mint, and by far the nicest I have ever owned. You can see it  HERE

dbt15h.jpg

The history of the Überrock is thanks to the tenacious research of Glenn Jewison and as always I am very grateful.

So lets have a German joke!

Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Götz Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben goes into a bar and orders three separate shot glasses of Schnaps. He drinks all three. The bartender asks Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Götz Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben why he does not put all three shots into one glass.  Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Götz Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben says, "No, I prefer it this way. I have two brothers on the Western Front. This glass right here is for Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Hans Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben and this one here is for Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Jürgen Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben, and this one is for me. This way I can feel like we here together having a drink." He comes in day after day after day, and one day Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Götz Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben says, "Just two Schnaps today."  Fearing the worst,  the  bartender asked "On no! What happened? Did something happen to one of your brothers Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Hans Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben or Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Jürgen Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben?"  "No, no.." Achaz Wilhelm Gustav Gebhard Götz Hermann Joseph von Alvensleben replied as he shot back the two Schnaps. "They're okay, but I have decided to quit drinking."

Absolutely gorgeous Tony!
It is a terrific pristine set.
I have a question about the Überrock. It appears on your website that the bottom edge of the Überrock is unsewn, not hemmed. I could be completely wrong about this but it did bring up my question. I have two tunics that are unsewn along the bottom edge. Is this normal or did some stitching come loose? It does not appear that they had ever been stitched.

John :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

John Waffenrock etc. are not 'flipped and stitched' on the bottom hem.

Only units with piping along the bottom are sewn. Examples would be all Saxon tunics (of any sort), all Ulanen Ulanka, all Husaren Attila etc.

Any tunics without bottom hem piping, have typically the raw edge of the wool as the hem.

SkipperJohn said:
Absolutely gorgeous Tony!
It is a terrific pristine set.
I have a question about the Überrock. It appears on your website that the bottom edge of the Überrock is unsewn, not hemmed. I could be completely wrong about this but it did bring up my question. I have two tunics that are unsewn along the bottom edge. Is this normal or did some stitching come loose? It does not appear that they had ever been stitched.

Thanks Tony. When I read your article here:
kaisersbunker.com/gtp/waffenrock.htm
I think I made the assumption that "raw edge" meant that it wasn't piped, not that it wasn't sewn.
Thanks, always great info.

John :)

Beautiful set Tony. Only one problem: now you need an officer’s mitre. Of course knowing you, there’s probably one on the way.

Steve

Back