Uhlan Tunic off Ebay

A

Anonymous

I just won an Uhlanka It has a few curiosities .1 it has cloth officer Shoulder straps ,similar to Infantry ones.2 it is very small ,so it may be a childs .
I am trying to find the unit it is .I is roayl blue with yellow piping collars and cuffs .
I did not pay all that much for it ,but enough It is Item #6604127298 Any help wouls be great.
Mark Giroux :eek:

Hi Mark,

The boards have most likely been added, as only Saxony wore straps on their Dunkelblau Ulanka.

Are far as the regt goes, go to the on-line History and Guide to Imperial German Uniforms 1842 - 1918 here>> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/ And click on the link to Ulanen.

On that page you will find a link for Uniform details for all Ulanen regts. Scroll down and you will see which regts had yellow facings with silver buttons. You will see that you have two choices for the regt. Tony

zipperheads9 said:
it is very small ,so it may be a childs .

I forgot to mention, that is almost certainlly a soldier's Ulanka. What is the average age of a soldier? Nineteen. Many young men at that time were very, very slight. I have some issued Waffenrock that will not fit my wife, who is 5' and 105 lbs.

I would like to dress this tunic up .I know very lttle about Uhlan stuff .I know they have a specific belt as well as ropes and rossetes.
What goes on the shoulder straps brass numerals? I will check the tunic over for signs of ribbons or awards .
Any suggestions on the belt and braid and the strap numerals?
MArk :D

Tony,

I heard years ago that enlisted Ulan personnel who were recruiters wore pointed shoulder straps on their prewar tunics. I think the information was in Kaiserzeit. Ever hear of this?

Chip

Chip,

I am intrigued as to why Ulans would be involved in recruiting. Recruiting as it was and indeed all replacement and reservist matters were the province of the Bezirkskommandos.

NCOs and Private Soldiers of the Bezirkskommandos wore an infantry pattern uniform with either a Brigade Number or Landwehrinspektion cypher on the shoulder straps.

Regards
Glenn

I have sourced a repro set for the tunic in Germany John Derg .They are only 220 Euro's plus delivery,but man are they pretty.
He also carries other bits and pieces for most cavalry kit .I would like to use origanals ,but at least I know they are available.
He also repros Czapka's with parade colours and auglett .
But I am still looking at oeiginal kit.
Thanks for any answers on this tunic

Glenn,

Still don't have the aforementioned information. This was just something that I remember from many years ago, when there was a discussion concerning non-Saxon, enlisted Ulanka with cloth pointed shoulder straps. I know it sounds odd and perhaps the information was wrong, as it was from a time when we all didn't know as much as we know now. Anyway, it was just a bit that I recalled and if I can find it, I will get back to you.

Chip

Is the uhlanka a 3rd garde uhlanka? I just reviewed a europeon shop were they had one for sale in a group. I noticed it was all black liner to sleeves and then I look at the pics of mine and noticed it has wear patterns around where tje litzen went.
If it is I do not to laugh or cry that will be 2 silver garde wappen to get .
:eek: Mark Giroux
p.s. maybe that would explain the shoulder straps .

zipperheads9 said:
Is the uhlanka a 3rd garde uhlanka? // If it is I do not to laugh or cry that will be 2 silver garde wappen to get .

Mark, please read again my Wed Feb 22, 2006 posting above. The answer is there for you if you will only look for it. Tony

Thanks Tony .Now to cry in my beer as I look for all that litzen and a Garde Tcshapka with Garde wappen in silver.

Anybody see litzen with yellow backing please let me know .I want to try to put this little brute back into looking as it should.
Also all you guy's and gals hording all that silver garde wappen ,please learn to play nive and share (or trade)
:lol: Mark G.

zipperheads9 said:
Now to cry in my beer as I look for all that litzen and a Garde Tcshapka with Garde wappen in silver.

Why? if you would look at the link I gave you, http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/New/ulan0.htm and read down the list for all Ulanen regts, you would see that other than the 3rd Garde Ulanen regt, there were two Ulanen regts with yellow facings and silver buttons.

Schleswig-Holsteinisches Ulanen-Regt. Nr.15 (Saarburg) XXI Armee Korps; and

Ulanen-Regt. König Wilhelm I (2. Württembergisches) Nr.20 (Ludwigsburg) XIII Armee Korps.

For both these regts, there is no difference between an officer's and Mannschaften Ulanka except for the Epaulettes and the loops that hold them on. A Preußen Tschapka with silver fittings is possible, a Württemberg Tschapka, however, is a different story.

When do we get to see this tunic? It would go a long way toward telling us if we can help or not.

Chip :clock:

I got it off ebay , it left the sender on the 2nd of March ,I have learn to put pics on here .Sorry for the confusian .Iwill post mre detailed pics when they get here . I am looking at other tunics right now.
Thanks for the enquiry

I hope to have photo's to post by the weekend. The 2 straps are similar to officers style .They are 2 long loops of yellow with Drk blue background ,for each strap . there are just plain buttons at the strap hole .
There are large gaps where the straps atach ,they are sewn in .
Any idea of the boards and when they were worn ?

Hello All,
Here are some pictures of the tunic. Hope this works okay.
Cliff
Front of Tunic
100_0024.jpg

Back of Tunic

100_0025.jpg

Shoulder Strap
100_0020.jpg

Underside of Strap
100_0021.jpg

Shoulder Strap
100_0019.jpg

Inside Flap