Ulan Numbers

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
There was a question about did Ulans wear numbers on their uberzugs? The answer is, yes but rarely. I have just gone through 250 Ulanen photos in the period Photo section using a link posted by PickelMax. Out of 250 photos which did include many pics without "covers", there were 9 that showed numbered uberzug being worn. In some of these, only one man would be numbered while standing in a small group, the majority shown in these photos are wearing plain covers. Here is a list of the 9 Regts that showed numbers being worn: 4, R53, 3, 9, 13, 10, 16, 2, 17. The R53 was R over 53 but I can not type that. In all my years of collecting Ulanen uberzugs are rare and I have never seen one with number(s). I had one in my collection but sold it, I have only seen examples posted by 4-5 other collectors.

Brian here is my understanding that I wrote for Kaiser's Bunker.

Athough all arms of the cavalry were outfitted with cloth Überzug in 1892, no Regimental numbers were carried. The cavalry first carried the Regimental numbers on 15 August 1914 when all arms were ordered to carry the Regimental number in green on the front of the Überzug. Like the Garde Infantry, Garde cavalry formations never carried a Regimental number on the Überzug. Only blank Überzug were worn by Garde cavalry from 1892 to 1916.

I had an unnumbered example but let it go in the downsizing I am doing.

I'm the one who asked about this. Thank you both. That explains why they don't appear that often in photos.

Now another question; If there were 20 Uhlan regiments (not counting Bayer) why would one have R53 on its Uberzug?

Thanks T that clears it up nicely. Many of the fotos were pre war. I have no explanation for R 53 , no clue ?? There were some nice shots of felt tschapkas being worn as well.

I was looking over items in an auction that was posted in another thread (http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11064) on this board and noticed this;https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0005/lot-a98f939a-2021-4795-b1f8-a6e900b04463.
It is an Ulan Überzug bearing a R over a 19 in red. Cover looks right and is nicely marked inside as well as being dated 1914. The numbers appear to be embroidered on to the front of the cover.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-02%20at%2011.46.23%20AM_zps0yur4xw0.png

Did not notice this, when I looked over that auction listing. That is a very cool and rare piece. Thanks for the post! Keoki7 email your pictures and I will post them. My email is here in the help section.

b.loree said:
Thanks T that clears it up nicely. Many of the fotos were pre war. I have no explanation for R 53 , no clue ?? There were some nice shots of felt tschapkas being worn as well.

Probably 53th Reserve Division (XXVII Reserve Korps) and especially, 53. Kavallerie Reserve Abteilung, part of the 106th Reserve Infanterie Brigade.

RUR Passendale by Max Pickelmax, sur Flickr

I've seen an issue cover with a green number "3" and my example no longer has a number, but you can clearly see where a number "3" was removed. The cover is also marked inside to "U.R.3".

Back