Un cut wappen?

Louis

I was at a local market and found this being sold by a stamp and die collecter. Looks like an uncut grenadier wappen with an S hilt unless I misunderstood and it means garde? Also it has no bandau so maybe a reserve? If any one knows something about this I would really appreciate it!10D0F4AE-5C9C-45C2-B1E8-DDDADE32274E.jpeg
A8CCC0CF-02F7-48B0-8774-2101CA3F8A7C.jpeg

I used to work in a tool and die shop....I love seeing things like this! I would like to see an actual steel die one day of a wappen...

So this is how a wappen is initially stamped. Do you know what the next step is? Does it get trimmed followed by bending and adding post or loops? It is amazing when one thinks of the work involved to produce a single wappen 100 to 150 year’s ago. Thank for posting.
John

I have no knowledge of metal work but I always imagined that it would be a clean cut stamping with one strike and no trimming. However, let’s hear from our more experienced knowledgeable members.

I don’t know if you can see it in the pictures but it has been scored and bent a bit around the eagle almost like it would have been rough cut before the Final Cut. Does anyone know what kind of regiment it would have belonged to because it does not have a bandeau on it

I don’t know if you can see it in the pictures but it has been scored and bent a bit around the eagle almost like it would have been rough cut before the Final Cut. Does anyone know what kind of regiment it would have belonged to because it does not have a bandeau on it
Because of the sword handle I would say it is the „Grenadier“ eagle.

Louis the eagle that you have is in the M1842 pattern for the Garde Grenadier. However it lacks the detail and depth of an actual helmet eagle Wappen. As Brian mentioned above these helmet Wappen were stamped out on two piece die on a press under extreme pressure. There was no cutting out required, just cleaning up of the sheared off edges. In fact if you pick up any helmet Wappen and look at the edges with magnification, you can see how it was sheared off from the die.

So Louis I have no idea what your Garde Grenadier eagle plate is. Consider a different use, like a grave marker, a book cover, a plaque of some sort. Who knows? It still is a very nice piece.

The one on eBay however is almost certainly an attempt at a fake, as die press stamps require great skill and are very expensive, so this was ‘probably’ someone’s attempt at making one that failed.

Last edited:
Back