Un M60, vieux régiments (Grenadier 7) M42/57/60

CLOVIS 57

Hello,
very happy to be able to share my latest acquisition :
A rare 42/60 model of one of the 12 old Prussian line regiments, now Grenadier-Regiment.
The eagle is of the new M60 model with Vaterland-Bandeau, but here, the Prussian Grenadier eagle has a 5-ply bandeau instead of 3 for the line, and instead of the FR, on the eagle's breast, there is a badge marked FWR for Frédéric-Wilhelm-Rex.P1010263.JPG

The kokade is a model 1857, no longer in leather but in steel.
P1010264.JPGP1010265.JPG

Hot iron regimental markings for the 7th Grenadier. 1957 could be the date of the transformation of the old M42 into the M57 (hence M42/57). The AKO of 24-12-57 ordered a new helmet with a lower, lighter shell.

P1010267.JPGP1010268.JPG

The chinstrap is an M57, with flat scales and a slotted-head iron fixing screw.
P1010274.JPG

Since 1860, the tips of Grenadier helmets have been removable to allow the Haarbusch to be placed on parade. The tip of the M42 was also shortened by less than 1 cm at the Perlring. As a result, the Perlring encroaches on the ventilation holes. This is another oversized M42, the brass is thick and it's heavy.

P1010273.JPG
So, to sum up:
---Helmet of the 7th Prussian Grenadier, model 1842;
---modified 1857 by reduction of the shell (from above and below), shortening of the point, and domed scales replaced by flat ones).
---Modified 1860 by replacing the old FWR 1842 eagle without Vaterland-Bandeau by the FWR 1860 eagle with 5-ply Vaterland-Bandeau.

NB. The 1860 model was still in use during the Franco-Prussian war, as the 1867 models were not sufficient to equip the "German" army of the 1867 unification.
M60&67 Aout -1870 St-Privat.JPG

Here is a painting by an official army painter, fighting at Saint-Privat, 3kms from where I live. It shows the M60s alongside the M67s in the same Garde-Fusilier-Regiment . (Nickel silver fittings, but brass chinstrap scales).

Last edited:
Hello,
A rare 42/60 model of one of the 12 old Prussian line regiments, now Grenadier-Regiment.
The eagle is of the new M60 model with Vaterland-Bandeau, but here, the Prussian Grenadier eagle has a 5-ply bandeau instead of 3 for the line, and instead of the FR, on the eagle's breast, there is a badge marked FWR for Frédéric-Wilhelm-Rex.View attachment 42261

View attachment 42262View attachment 42263

The seams show the lowered height of the M42 bomb. Fine 7G hot iron markings. Dated February 57 trim II.

View attachment 42264View attachment 42265View attachment 42266

Since 1860, the tips of Grenadier helmets have been removable to allow the Haarbusch to be placed on parade. The tip of the M42 was also shortened by less than 1 cm at the Perlring. As a result, the Perlring encroaches on the ventilation holes. This is another oversized M42, the brass is thick and it's heavy.

View attachment 42267
Very nice !
While I do not collect the early model helmets
I really like all of the 1 -12 Prussian Grenadier helmets
Thanks for the post
Steve

Thierry that is superb! It’s so nice to see a beautiful old Soldier in this condition. That made my night and thank you for showing. I’ve seen many 1842 Helme that have been cut dowm, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one cut off at the top? That stitching is really cool. Excellent photos.

Last edited:
Thank you for your messages of sympathy.
Please note that when the M42 was recycled, the technician didn't bother to remove the upper screw from the rear spine. As a result, it is capped by the tip of the rear arm of the cross base. On the new M60s, the screw head is 2 cm lower. Another point of clarification: in 1860, apart from 2 Grenadier Regiments (1 and 9), all the others had the same FWR front eagle. Vintage banners were prescribed later.

Wow - what a beautiful helmet! As always, I appreciate your depth of knowledge, research, and details on this stuff. Outstanding photos.

Thierry c'est superbe ! C'est tellement agréable de voir un beau vieux soldat dans cet état. Cela a fait ma soirée et merci de l'avoir montré. J'ai vu de nombreux Helme de 1842 qui ont été coupés, mais je ne pense pas en avoir jamais vu un coupé en haut ? Ces coutures sont vraiment cool. Excellentes photos.

Bonjour Tony,
Ce GR7 a été raccourci non seulement en haut, mais également en bas. Cela se voit au trou de 2 cm percé plus haut pour fixer la jugulaire, ainsi qu'à la trace de l'ancien renfort en cuir, coupé puis recousu plus haut.
P1010275.JPG
En revanche, la coque du M42 est fréquemment découpée par le haut. Mon autre 42/57 est également coupé et cousu en haut, mais uniquement dans le sens de la longueur, du devant vers le dos. Cela donne une forme tronconique à l'ancienne forme ogivale.
M42-57 repris.JPG

Last edited:
Hello,
The eagle is of the new M60 model with Vaterland-Bandeau, but here, the Prussian Grenadier eagle has a 5-ply bandeau instead of 3 for the line, and instead of the FR, on the eagle's breast, there is a badge marked FWR for Frédéric-Wilhelm-Rex.View attachment 42261

View attachment 42262View attachment 42263

Hot iron regimental markings for the 7th Grenadier. 1957 could be the date of the transformation of the old M42 into the M57 (hence M42/57). The AKO of 24-12-57 ordered a new helmet with a lower, lighter shell.

View attachment 42264View attachment 42265

The chinstrap is an M57, with flat scales and a slotted-head iron fixing screw.
View attachment 42266

View attachment 42267
So, to sum up:
---Helmet of the 7th Prussian Grenadier, model 1842;
---modified 1857 by reduction of the shell (from above and below), shortening of the point, and domed scales replaced by flat ones).
---Modified 1860 by replacing the old FWR 1842 eagle without Vaterland-Bandeau by the FWR 1860 eagle with 5-ply Vaterland-Bandeau.

NB. The 1860 model was still in use during the Franco-Prussian war, as the 1867 models were not sufficient to equip the "German" army of the 1867 unification.
View attachment 42281

Here is a painting by an official army painter, fighting at Saint-Privat, 3kms from where I live. It shows the M60s alongside the M67s in the same Garde-Fusilier-Regiment . (Nickel silver fittings, but brass chinstrap scales).
fighting at Saint-Privat, 3kms from where I live.
The Grenadier Regt 9 / Fusilier Batl was also there as per their
1870 / 71 K D M streamer on their flag
SteveG R  9  a    McFarland  Collection.JPGG R 9  1870 71  K D M Battle Honors.jpeg

Steve that's just incredible, I can't believe the quality of your collection it must be wonderful to live with it and enjoy it daily.
You're a lucky man (y)(y)
Thank you very much .
It is now the efforts of 54 years of collecting
Today , my collector friend Charles form Belgium in here with me for a visit
before he leaves for the S O S in Louisville
so it has been a fun day talking helmets and this will be my S O S
Steve

I have another 42/57/60, which this time was simply cut in half at the top, front to back. In the first photo, you can clearly see the flattened, beheaded ovoid shape. P1010296.JPG Here, unlike the previous model, the bottom of the hull remains untouched. The sinusoidal leather side reinforcement remains very high, as does the hole for the chinstrap fixing screw.P1010297.JPGP1010298.JPG The seams of the 1857 modification are shown above.
P1010301.JPG Above you can see the difference between the beautiful, cleanly executed stitching on the new M42 hull, and the rougher M57 grinding work above.

P1010300.JPG
Infra, the M42 seam, made between two beads, making it invisible, as on leather sword scabbards.

Once the metal trim has been replaced, the seams are invisible. A thin strip of basane may have covered the interior, but I think I can see traces of it.
P1010302.JPG
P1010303.JPG

Here too, the aeration body of the tip has been lowered by 1 to 2 cm, so that the Perlring half encroaches on the aeration holes.

P1010304.JPG

Ditto, the eagle is still the old Prussian M42 infantry, but the Vaterland-Bandeau has been added by 5 points of tin soldering.
P1010305.JPG
Last but not least, the eagle is also an M42, modified by affixing the Vaterland-Bandeau. This modification was carried out on the old M42/57 helmets from May 1860 until November, when a new eagle, known as the M60, was introduced.

M60 type2 après Novembre.GIF

Attachments

• P1010299.JPG
    P1010299.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Back