Unidentified Bavarian Landsturm collar insignia

Or 'L' for Ludwig III (Ludwig Luitpold Josef Maria Aloys Alfried), the last King of Bavaria, who reigned from 1913 to 1918 ?

I note that the "L" is identical to that on the shoulder straps of the men of Kgl. Bayer. 10. Infanterie-Regiment König who were garrisoned at Ingolstadt (III Bavarian Armeekorps). Could it be these fellows are from b. Ldst.-I.-Btl. Ingolstadt (III. B. 7)?

Busche:

b. Ldst.-I.-Btl. Ingolstadt (III. B. 7). Mobil ab 22.9.1914. (General-Gouvernement Belgien, Etappen-Inspektion Nr. 5).

Whatever it is, it's non-regulation. There were plenty of "L's" used for different things in the German army. This one looks more like a Luftschiffer "L" to me. Perhaps they are attached as guards to such a unit. The photo is from some time during the first four months of the war. I have seen other insignia from this early period that were placed on the collar for field expediency but were later dropped. Regardless, it's a very interesting photo.

Chip

Chip Minx said:
Whatever it is, it's non-regulation. There were plenty of "L's" used for different things in the German army. This one looks more like a Luftschiffer "L" to me. Perhaps they are attached as guards to such a unit. The photo is from some time during the first four months of the war. I have seen other insignia from this early period that were placed on the collar for field expediency but were later dropped. Regardless, it's a very interesting photo.

Chip

Thanks Chip, that's certainly another line of enquiry to follow. Here's what Marshall wrote, "The only thing I can think of is that they might be Landsturm from the Leib-Infanterie-Regiment or the first company of that battalion. Some Litzened regiments placed an "L" on the shoulder strap buttons in the first company. I'm leaning more towards the B.L.I.R., though, because of the size and scroll "L".

Cheers,

Brett

Back