Unidentified sword

Hi

I have this very nice sword I would like to sell but I have a HUGE problem! I can't identify it so maybe some of your guys can help me? :eek:

Many says it might be french because of the style and other says it's some kind of German state og a german noble family when they look at the coat of arms :-k

Anyway it is a quite impressing sword to hold in your hands. :)

Any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 2,817
The three feathers in the cypher also indicate the Prince of Wales, the title given to every first born son in the British monarchy. Prince Charles is the present day Prince of Wales and heir to the throne.

I‘m sorry but I have to object..., if the feathers would stand for the Prince of Wales it would have a banner with his slogan „ICH DIEN“ below the crown.
Important for the coat of arms of european Monarchies is the ranking crowns (coronets). The design of a coronet shows the rank of its owner, as in German, French and various other heraldic traditions.
All ranking crowns of the UK are closed with a red Beret in the center. Please have a look to Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_(heraldry)
A crown with 5 perls on the top of 5 pinks could stand for:
An ancien Regime of France: Viscount
A german or Austrian lower Nobility
An italian, portuguese, spanish or brazilian Viscount
A dutch Hereditary Knight (Erfridder) or Jonkheer
A belgian Hereditary Knight (Chevalier/Erfridder)

I stand corrected Sandy, you obviously have more knowledge on this subject than I. Taking a closer look I see winged gryphons on that cypher which would indicate non British. A very beautiful sword though.

By reading the arms you maybe able to get an idea of who it belonged too. It appears that two of the quarters are cannons, another is three stars (six pointed), I can't make out the last quarter nor the center. As 50% of the arms contain cannons I would assume that the individual had something important to do with defense. This is also indicated by the Griffins (which are females BTW) supporters ( Griffins are guardians). Feathers signify willing obedience and serenity of mind. The star symbolizes honor, achievement and hope in heraldry. In England the star usually has 5 points while France is 6.

Interesting reading. Here is a close up of the coat of arms.

The mystery sword is now at sale :)

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    817.3 KB · Views: 2,726
I can now see the remain quarter is a crescent, which stands for one who has been ‘enlightened and honored by the gracious aspect of his sovereign’. It is also a symbol of the hope of greater glory. In England it could also mean a second son (I don't believe these to be English nor any where in UK arms). The bars on the center device generally represent bravery in times of war.

Back