Uniform Belgan 1st Infantry Brigade 1945

Adler

Not so long ago this uniform ensemble was found in a house clearance. It consisted of the Battle Dress, trousers, shirt, cap and long coat. I had absolutely no idea what is was, but in some mysterious way I was attracted to it... Anyway, the price was really low, compared with the Imperial stuff I collect and I couldn’t refuse to take it to its new home here in Belgium...

Everything is early 1945 Canadian marked, but in my eager to set up this mannequin I just forgot to take pictures of these markings... Important to determine it’s a 1st Infantry Brigade uniform are the little Belgian flag (right sleeve), the arched “Belgium” (left sleeve), the “1” on the shoulder boards and the two shields with lion (2nd model) on both sleeves.

Anyway, in just a few days I found the additional leggings, boots and equipment to complete the setup.

Because Belgian uniforms are way out of my collecting area, it took me a while to find out that this uniform was worn by a soldier of the 1st Infantry Brigade (earlier called Brigade Piron) that served from begin April 1945 under Canadian command. They helped liberate some Belgian cities and also played an important role in the liberation of the Netherlands.

I hope you also like this setup...

Adler 1

According to Wikipedia:

By 1944, the Free Belgian forces in the United Kingdom numbered some 4,500 men. Belgian soldiers formed the 1st Belgian Infantry Brigade (which also included an artillery battery of soldiers from Luxembourg) more often known as the Brigade Piron after its commanding officer, Jean-Baptiste Piron. The Brigade Piron was involved in the Normandy Invasion and the battles in France and the Netherlands until liberation.

Belgians also served in British special forces units during the war, forming a troop of No.10 (Inter-Allied) Commando, which was involved in the Italian Campaign and the Landings on Walcheren. The 5th Special Air Service (part of the élite SAS) was made up entirely of Belgians and was the first Allied unit to enter Belgium in September 1944.

400 Belgian pilots served in the Royal Air Force. Two all-Belgian fighter units, Nos. 349 and 350 Squadrons, served in the European theatre. No. 350 Squadron alone claimed 51 "kills" between its formation in November 1941 and the end of the war. In total, 1,200 Belgians served in the RAF, mainly in British or Free Dutch squadrons.

Two corvettes and a group of minesweepers were also operated by the Belgians during the Battle of the Atlantic. By 1943, 350 Belgians were serving as sailors on these vessels.

My father was in the Brigade Rumbeke (3rd Bde).
Trained in Northern Ireland from March 1945.
Deployed in occupied Germany in September 1945.

I guess the awefull "battledress" was in use in the Belgian Army from 1945 till the mid 70ies.
Lucky me: I started my 32 years in 1980.

Great display Karel !

Francis

Karel,
For now just this one:
15s4utw.jpg

My father is standing the 4th from the left. (18-19 years old).
Francis

You can see how they had to to roll up the ends of the webbing straps.
During training the nasty fabric of the Battledress acted like sandpaper to the skin. Starts itching when I only think about it.
Think the large pouches are for the Brengun magazines.
The small ones for the Lee Enfield Nr 4 .303 Brit clips. Who knows perhaps even for the SMLE during training.
He told me the Stengun and the PIAT where dangerous things.
Francis

Indeed, those BD's were not the most comfortable things to wear #-o ... Even when I was in the army (1979) these were still in use, but I think the wool fabric was worse in 1945 :-" ...

Yes, Yes... what a mannequin can do :-" ... This new (for me kinda ersatz) mannequin is the one that I used for the German officer before, but at the moment I don't have an old one of this hight (1,7m) to fit the uniform. I'm sure one day a vintage mannequin with the right size will show up \:D/ ...

Adler

Same thing here, also did my time in 1979 in a BD. It changed into the new uniforms shortly after, but we didn't get them.
And I did prefere the BD.

So did I! After the BD, these guys didn't look as tuff anymore :-" ... They had some kinda long sissy uniforms and looked as if they already lost before anything was done :p ...

Adler

Those long pouches are for the Bren Magazines. They are quite common and easy to find here at militaria shows.

Yes they are indeed... they are also very common here in Belgium, probably that's also the reason that it didn't take long to find them :-$ ...

Adler

Back