Uniform Group of Victorian RA Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel George Hampson Morrison

Jvpi

Dear members,

I would like to show you my Victorian British uniform collection in this post. Although British militaria is not my focus, but what is shown here is the most complete group of items belonging to the same person in my collection. And preserved in very nice condition too. Since I'm no expert in British Militaria, there might be some mistakes in the introduction. Corrections and more information are welcome!
The uniform group belonged to George Hampson Morrison, all items came in with the original named case. Morrison was appointed Honorary Lieutenant-Colonel of the Royal Artillery in 1887 after he retired as Major from the 5th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps. From various references, it's known that Morrison became Ensign in the 5th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps on 3rd November 1860, senior unit of the later Liverpool Volunteer Rifle Brigade, where Morrison was promoted to Lieutenant on 18th May 1865. On 31st March 1870 Morrison obtained a Majority in the 5th Lancashire Rifle Volunteer Corps. On 8th January 1887 Morrison was appointed as captain in the 5th Brigade, RA Scottish Division (probably a captain's position in the regular army?). The 5th Brigade became the Forfar & Kincardine Artillery (Southern Division) in 1889. From very few references I read, I could not figure out why he got an honorary title in the Artillery Militia. I'm grateful if someone could tell me more about it. The RA Scottish Division was disbanded in 1889, not long after Morrison's uniforms were made. George Hampson Morrison died in 1901(?), his birth date is unknown.
The group includes his full dress helmet, full dress uniform & trousers, patrol jacket & trousers, full dress pouch, numerous belts, stable jacket, mess waistcoat, cloak & cape and dress gloves.

C00E02DB-BCDA-4E7C-81FD-50BE08725657 2.jpg
488.jpeg

Last edited:
Pre 1891 full dress uniform is made by blue cloth, although it actually looks black. The tunic had rounded skirts in front and edged all round with scarlet cloth, there is no decorations on the hip except scarlet piping and two buttons, same to all the 1874 pattern buttons used on the tunic. The embroidered collar and cuff decorations are in the pattern of field grade officers. The gold and thick shoulder cords displays Morrison's embroidered rank insignias, which is crown and one Bath star for lieutenant-colonel. The "M" stand for "Militia". The collar has plaited cords, lace and silver bullion grenades.

Last edited:
The sword belt and slings are made by blue Morocco leather, covered in gold lace. The belt is fastened with snake hook, with one gilt lion’s head clasp on each side. Interestingly Morrison's belt buckle do not have the inscribed "UBIQUE" as stated by dress regulations. Unfortunately the uniform group does not include his sabretache.

Here shows the details of the shoulder belt and pouch. The shoulder belt is also made by blue Morocco leather. The ornamental gilt buckle, slide and grenade are all gilt pieces. The leather pouch have gold embroidered royal arms on dark blue cloth with laurel spray on the left side and oak spray on the right side, below there is a gilt gun badge. Embroidered "SCOTTISH DIVISION" on the crimson scroll, instead of the commonly seen motto "QUO FAS ET GLORIA DUCUNT", which I believe it is rarely seen.

That is a magnificent uniform grouping! The tailoring is exquisite and a testimony to Victorian quality. Thank you for sharing this here.

... This is an ABSOLUTELY STUNNING collection of a single named militia artillery officer's uniforms. It is magnificent in its completeness and its quality. The fabric is unmarred and the gold and silver bullion lace as well as the gilt to helmet plate and belt fittings is remarkably in tact devoid of any wear! And with its original storage tin(s) is the acquisition of a lifetime! Simply beautiful!!

Best regards,

David

The M1874 patrol jacket is made by blue cloth, with a stand-and-fall collar, decorated with mohair lace and braid. This garment in my opinion is a particularly stylish one among the Victorian British Army uniforms. The patrol jacket was originally intended to be worn over the stable jacket, but that was obviously impossible. So a false collar of the stable jacket is attached around the inside collar to meet the requirement.

Back