Uniform ID Family member

bwahl

Hello all, first post. Maybe before the Bundesarchiv gets back to me maybe I can find out more here from more knowledgeable members.
Great-great grandfather Gustave T.R. Albrecht, born 9/3/1883 likely in Königsberg. Married, moved to Berlin.
This is a detail of a family photo from 1905/10. All I can tell is he looks to be wearing the standard M95 dunkelblau tunic. Anyone able to determine rank/branch from other visible details? Lamentably the shoulder boards are not visible to my eyes. Any further observations appreciated.
-BW
IMG-0461.jpg

Hi BW,
Welcome to the forum!
Can you show the entire arms? That can be very helpful in determining his branch / unit.
Regards,
Lars

Hello all, first post. Maybe before the Bundesarchiv gets back to me maybe I can find out more here from more knowledgeable members.
Great-great grandfather Gustave T.R. Albrecht, born 9/3/1883 likely in Königsberg. Married, moved to Berlin.
This is a detail of a family photo from 1905/10. All I can tell is he looks to be wearing the standard M95 dunkelblau tunic. Anyone able to determine rank/branch from other visible details? Lamentably the shoulder boards are not visible to my eyes. Any further observations appreciated.
-BW
View attachment 35052
The belt is black , was he a Fusilier ?
I can't really see the buckle
Steve

Thanks for your reply and the welcome, Lars. Here's the full version. I think I'm seeing the very edge of a Brandenburg style cuff by his daughter on the right. He would've been around 30/31 - probably too young for the Landsturm. @KAGGER#1 I do not know, it is very possible.
70845866453--56AC68C6-B80E-4036-B8C2-26C2DF293AA8.jpg

Thanks for showing, didn't show as much as I was hoping for :), but I agree with you, probably a Brandenburg cuff.
Could this picture have been taken during the first world war? With three children it is highly unlikely that this is his initial military service (typically done around 20 years old), maybe taken during an exercise while he was in the Reserve?

The collar and the coloured band on the peaked cap look like red to me, and together with the Brandenburg cuff point to a line infantry unit (or a unit that wore an infantry uniform).
The leather of almost all units (except some Guards, Grenadiers, etc.) was black, so that doesn't help to narrow down the unit.
The fabric of the (imo private purchase, as he is no NCO) peaked cap looks lighter than the uniform, might just be a different shade of blue that looks different in black & white, or might be a field grey example which would indicate wartime (most blue and field grey uniform components were allowed to be worn together).
The shoulder strap looks light, but not white, so most likely light blue, possibly yellow (yellow typically looks very dark on B&W photos from that period, but not always), which leaves many army corps with blue or yellow shoulder straps as an option.
Hope this helps,
Lars

Thanks for showing, didn't show as much as I was hoping for :), but I agree with you, probably a Brandenburg cuff.
Could this picture have been taken during the first world war? With three children it is highly unlikely that this is his initial military service (typically done around 20 years old), maybe taken during an exercise while he was in the Reserve?

The collar and the coloured band on the peaked cap look like red to me, and together with the Brandenburg cuff point to a line infantry unit (or a unit that wore an infantry uniform).
The leather of almost all units (except some Guards, Grenadiers, etc.) was black, so that doesn't help to narrow down the unit.
The fabric of the (imo private purchase, as he is no NCO) peaked cap looks lighter than the uniform, might just be a different shade of blue that looks different in black & white, or might be a field grey example which would indicate wartime (most blue and field grey uniform components were allowed to be worn together).
The shoulder strap looks light, but not white, so most likely light blue, possibly yellow (yellow typically looks very dark on B&W photos from that period, but not always), which leaves many army corps with blue or yellow shoulder straps as an option.
Hope this helps,
Lars
Anything helps in the search for more info on his service. He would have been living in Berlin for some time till his death in 1947.
Thank you for your time and expertise, Lars!
-BW

You're welcome BW,
Could you please post the results from the Bundesarchiv so we can see if it fits with the photo?
The Bundesarchiv had information from the hospital records of my great uncles, which was a huge help in determining the units they were in. Hope you get a good result too.
Regards,
Lars

You're welcome BW,
Could you please post the results from the Bundesarchiv so we can see if it fits with the photo?
The Bundesarchiv had information from the hospital records of my great uncles, which was a huge help in determining the units they were in. Hope you get a good result too.
Regards,
Lars
I will follow-up on here with any interesting details that emerge. Fingers crossed!
-BW

Back