Uniform ID Help

usa1918

Any Ideas?
collarandshoulder.th.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

Keith

This tunic has the attributes of an M13 field uniform for the Beamten of the Kassenwesen (paymaster department). Everything looks pretty much as it should be. The collar patches (the colors are correct) are not the size I would have expected, nor are they positioned well . Normally, photos show them half that length and paralleling the bottom edge of the collar, just a centimeter or so above. The ones on this tunic are placed right in the center of the collar (from top to bottom) and almost disappear over the top of the collar. It looks a bit awkward and not what you would expect to see on an issue quality tunic like this. They look more the size of the elongated Litewka patches.

The rank is Beamtenstellvertreter. The military Zahlmeister officials had white metal buttons and members of the civilian (uniformed) Kassenwesen had gold colored buttons. This tunic was likely made in 1915, when the buttons were being transitioned to field gray painted steel for everyone. We can still tell from the gold color of the tresse on the shoulder straps that it is from the Kassenwesen (civilian). By September 21, 1915 the new regulations added an additional band of Tresse across the bottom of the strap. This helps to affirm the notion that this tunic dates from mid 1915 up to early 1916.

Regards,
Chip

usa1918 said:
My first foray into photo posting. How'd it work?
Keith

Keith,

Rather than copy the links that go back to Image Shack for viewing, you could use the specific forum links that don't require the viewer to open a new window.

Chip

Thanks Chip. Still working on the photo gig. If the collar tabs were all a uniform size, they may be off due to the small size of the tunic...it looks to be about a size 30

Keith

There would have been two sizes of collar patches. The normal Waffenrock (this tunic) patches were a bit wider and about half to 3/4 the length of the longer patches for the Litewka. Here's a picture of a pair of Waffenrock sized patch. You can see the relative shape as opposed to the patches on your tunic.

I'm not saying that the patches are not original to the tunic, only that they are not what one would expect. Perhaps Litewka patches were all they had on hand?

Chip

Back