United States?? Silver Eagle Pin

Peter B

I bought this over 30 years ago at a flea market as I loved the look. Obviously a US Eagle that also closely resembles a US Colonel (or Navy Captain)'s rank.

It is heavy and it is sterling, although it has no hallmarks other than the word sterling.

I am pretty sure it is just a patriotic piece but would welcome opinions on what it is.

It is fairly large, just over 3 inches wide and an inch tall.

Really hard to get a good picture of the front but the details is very good.

Cheers and "E Pluribis Unum"

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0283.jpeg
    IMG_0283.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hmmm...that is different. The combination of oak and laurel leaves though is typically German for example, Saxe Duchy wappen. Although, no German piece is going to be stamped Sterling.

Hmmm...that is different. The combination of oak and laurel leaves though is typically German for example, Saxe Duchy wappen. Although, no German piece is going to be stamped Sterling.
Good point Brian.

I just always assumed it was American. Col rank has the shield and looks like wheat sheaves or something.(See picture).

I wonder if the Germans (if it was German) would put the English word Sterling on something?

Now this is getting interesting!

Attachments

• colonel-insignia.jpeg
    colonel-insignia.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 6
No Pete those are arrows clutched in the eagle’s left claw. I am sure our American members can help clarify but if memory serves there have been changes as to which direction the eagle is looking.......at the arrows of war or the branch of peace.

Last edited:
No Pete those are arrows clutched in the eagle’s left claw. I am sure our American members can help clarify but if memory serves there have been changes as to which direction the eagle is looking.......at the arrows of war or the branch of peace.
Okay thanks Brian. Forgot about the arrows.

Back