Unknown Uniform

SCHUPO

Gents,

This is an unknown Imperial German tunic made in the form of a double breasted frock coat. It is heavy blue wool with black cuffs and shoulder straps that are piped in light blue. The plain polished (Glatt) gold colored buttons are placed in pairs down the front as well as at the cuffs and back as belt supports. The metal insignia is missing from the stand up collar.

My suspicion is that this coat is either a Police uniform as this blue piping was used by various small municipal police departments known as Kommunalpolizei. It could also be Railway related as the Eisenbahn and streetcars also used this style of blue coat. Frankly, it may be a doorman or other coat but the missing collar insignia lead me toward a transportation person.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated?

Attachments

• Eisenbahn tunic.JPG
    Eisenbahn tunic.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Eisenbahn back.JPG
    Eisenbahn back.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Eisenbahn collar.JPG
    Eisenbahn collar.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Eisenbahn cuff.JPG
    Eisenbahn cuff.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Eisenbahn shoulder boards.JPG
    Eisenbahn shoulder boards.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for looking and I am not really convinced it is German. It has a full black cloth lining with striped white lining in the sleeves and has no interior markings or removed labels, etc. Only the loose threads at the collar where the metal insignia were removed. The buttons are distinctive in that they are polished plain brass with aged white unmarked bone backings and they are grouped in pairs.

I picked this up in Germany years ago but that is all I really know about it. I was hoping someone might recognize it.

George

Hi George, I think Imperial rail uniforms from the time looked a little different having black collars and cuffs piped in red. I have to say I'm certainly no expert on the subject, maybe it could be a regional Bahn or with the lighter shade of blue I wouldn't rule out Bayern. Here are a few pictures I found of German Rail enthusiasts dressed for the period. It could also be from a later period maybe 30's , or it could be Swedish the material on the boards and cuffs have that look to me. Here is a book I found that may help, I may even put it on my list you can never have enough knowledge and I always like learning new things and who doesn't love the DB. all the best John

6-P1080244.jpeg

Uniformgruppenbild-1.JPG

0008387397-L.jpg

Back