Unmarked J. Bambus & Company Ersatz Helmet

ww1czechlegion

Hello,

I received this helmet back in October as a birthday present from my wife.

Unmarked inside the liner, with the typical folded edge to the felt body of the helmet as apparently only found on the J. Bambus & Company manufactured helmets.

It came with the unusual "ersatz" chinstrap. The chinstrap appears to be made of felt with a black coated finish to the surface of the strap. It's in fragile condition, and I haven't looked at it or messed with it in fear of breaking it at the weak and partially torn sections of the chinstrap.

I added a set of original Kokarden to the helmet to complete it.

Looks like there is a name under the visor. Can anyone make it out?

Best Regards,

Alan

poniatowski said:
I read 'Willie Haas", but that doesn't matter. How cool of your wife to get that for you! :)

:D Ron
That is what it appears to read to me. And agreed about the Mrs. Nice helmet as well.

Your wife obviously knows her helmets, excellent choice. Congrats! :thumb up:

poniatowski said:
I read 'Willie Haas", but that doesn't matter. How cool of your wife to get that for you! :)

:D Ron

OK now I see it. Guess I need better glasses.

My wife actually bought me a divers helmet and that is what kind of started my helmet collecting.

She has not given me any helmets since.

You are indeed lucky !!

ww1czechlegion said:
// I received this helmet back in October as a birthday present from my wife.//

She has a good eye. Up here we would respectfully refer to her as a "Keeper". That has never happened to me.

Nice Bambus! :thumb up: Really interesting chinstrap.

Up here we would respectfully refer to her as a "Keeper". That has never happened to me.

It happened to me. Actually today is the anniversary of us meeting in 1998. My first one… met somebody else or I should say several somebody else's when I was in Bosnia. So Tony… What is happening at Christmas?

Alan – extremely interesting chinstrap.

joerookery said:
// So Tony… What is happening at Christmas? //

She has been asking a lot of oddly detailed questions about what I collect now (anything Totenkopf related) what Pickelhauben I collect now (only Baden) and emailing friends. So something is afoot. Perhaps like Alan, I will get a musty old helmet? I don't know. Regardless, she is a keeper.
Always handy to have a Psychologist in the house in case I go nuts :smilebox:

Thats one of the harder ones to catch in a good condition like this one

Great with the name in it

Jonas

Yes, the T meister at last seems to have met his match, God bless her for taking on such a task! :thumb up: On a lesser note...that chin strap appears to be dyed on the flesh side, if mine eyes do not deceive me. How does this compute?? I have another with very similar characteristics that I bought last year at the SOS. This one certainly looks 100 yrs old. Were there some originals with modern dyed characteristics??
Unfortunately, my better half does not see these hats as a good investment, she understands my romantic attachment to spikey hats but certainly would not spend her money on one for me. I am happy that she is managing finances and getting me out of debt, so I have more free money to buy spikey hats !! I guess, in her own way, she is buying me a helmet :D Tony and I are very lucky men to have found our soul mates at this stage in life as are many of our forum members!! A toast to the ladies who put up with us and support our passion for spikey helmets :thumb up:

Thanks for your nice comments gentlement! I'm lucky to have found my wife, and also lucky that she likes my collecting. :D

I will keep my fingers crossed for you Tony! :thumb up:

Best Regards,

Alan

by WWI Collector:
The chinstap is painted felt is it not?

Yes, I believe it is made of green felt that is either painted black on the exterior surface of the strap, or coated with some sort of black finish in order to make it look like a leather chinstrap.

Best Regards,

Alan

Back