Unteroffizier Feldartillerie Kugelhelm1915

Maple Creek

Here's something that I recently pulled out of the woodwork - never been in a collection before. It's my current study object! This find got me going to Tony and Joe's websites and our library of reference materials. Here's the description that I worked up. This was not intended for advanced collectors, but has some interesting (at least to me!) detail.

It is a beautifully preserved artillery pickelhaube, or more correctly “kubelhelm.” This particular helmet was used by a senior NCO and has interesting elements of both enlisted and officers’ pickelhaubes. The kokarden have a silver plated ring which was authorized for use only by the senior NCOs, Unteroffizier mit Portepee, who held the rank of Feldwebel (Company Sergeant Major / First Sergeant in the US) and Vizefeldwebel (Company Warrant-officer / Master Sergeant in the US). The lower ranked NCOs used the other ranks (EM) helmets and kokarden. Each company in the Prussian army had just one NCO at this rank, which is why helmets in this configuration are relatively rare.

The helmet plate or wappen is basically an EM line infantry or artillery eagle with but with gilt and polished highlights, which is characteristic of officer’s pickelhauben. The plate is attached with loops and leather triangles typical of EM/OR helmets rather than bolts and screws. The crown is solid rather than having voided spaces, which is another characteristic of EM helmets.

The officer quality chinscales are rounded indicating use by a field rather than foot artillery (Feldartillerie versus Fußartillerie). Rounded chinscales are generally reserved for cavalry use and were authorized for field artillery because these units were mounted. While foot artillery units adopted the leather chinstraps in 1894 (switching from flat chinscales), the field artillery units continued to use the rounded chinscales at all times, including in the field, right up to the beginning of WWI.

The base for the ball top is attached with EM type domed split pins. On this particular specimen the ball is either stuck so that it can not unscrew, or it is permanently fixed to its base.

The helmet is complete including the original leather triangles for attaching the front plate and the drawstring for the liner, components that are frequently missing. The only little thing missing is one of the washers that go on the inside of the helmet and behind the split pin for the chinstrap.

The body of the helmet appears to be a standard issue EM type. The rear visor is stamped “R.B.A.18” which was the abbreviation for Reserve Beckleidungs Armee Korps 18. The helmet also has a manufacturer’s stamp with a 1915 date. On the rear visor the original owner wrote his name. [/img]http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/maple_creek/Sales/Pickelhaube_3QtrsR.jpg[/img]
Pickelhaube_3QtrsR.jpg

That's a nice looking helmet, but doesn't BA stand for Bekleidungsamt, or supply depot? Wouldn't a helmet marked R for reserve have a reservist's cross on the wappen? Are there any markings for an artillery unit? I guess I'm kinda confused here, but it looks nice!

:D Ron

Silver Rosettes? And chinscales for a Reserve enlisted man wartime helmet? :eek:
I am confused...
Philippe :salute:

Not to be picky, it's a beautiful Pickelhaub, and straight, but the German word "Kubel" is "bucket" as in Kubelwagen. The word you are looking for is probably "Kugelhelm" which means "ball, bullet, etc. Just one letter makes a big difference. :)

Back