Unusual spike

Pontrest

I recently picked up this pickelhaube spike. Upon further investigation, I discovered what looked different about it: it's shorter than a standard model 1915 removable spike. It fits perfectly on a spike base, but is slightly shorter than a standard spike. The brown paint looks really old as well. I was going to remove the paint, but have decided to wait until I determine what exactly it is, and why it's painted the way it is. Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• Short spike.jpg
    Short spike.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 24
  • Spike comparison.jpg
    Spike comparison.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 24

I do happen to have a curiously shaped and small spike base that is apart of a JR. 111 helmet I'm restoring. Maybe they go together?

20230315_150914.jpg

20220626_175719.jpg

It would be necessary to take the measure because the small one seems to me standard for the infantry, the largest would then be that for the helmet of Jäger zu Pferde M15. Infra, on the left an M15 tip for Jäger zu Pferde and on the right an M15 for the infantry helmet. The Infantry point measures approximately 8cm and that of JzPf 1cm more.

Attachments

• M15 JzPf & IR.GIF
    M15 JzPf & IR.GIF
    115.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Ed, thank you for this reference. Once I compared this spike to the one on a leather helmet I have, I noticed they are identical. When they are on the helmet, they give the appearance of being the same size. It is only when removed and compared next to one another that the difference to the spikes of the JzP helme are noted.

Ed, thank you for this reference. Once I compared this spike to the one on a leather helmet I have, I noticed they are identical. When they are on the helmet, they give the appearance of being the same size. It is only when removed and compared next to one another that the difference to the spikes of the JzP helme are noted.
Glad to be of service. (y)

Back