Unusual style Regimehtal Stein

This is a very unusual style earthenware regmental stein manufactured by R. Merkelbach in Grenzhausen. The stein belonged to Pionier Mayer who served in the Kraftfahr Company of the Bavarian Luftschiffer and Kraftfahr Bataillon from 1912 through 1914.

Reservist1

Hello George: Reinhold Merkelbach was one of the larger manufacturers of stoneware steins. Available information indicates that the firm started business in the Hor-Grenzhausen area in 1849. They probably did not produce stoneware steins before sometime in the 1860's. There are 13 known variations of Reinhold Merklebach trademarks that can be used to approximately date the manufacture of a particular stein. The firm was still active in the 1970's. I don't know if they are still in business.

Reservist1

Fantastic stein R1. I am wondering about the symbolism shown in the figure riding the hood of the car. HE on the stien helium??? What is he holding in tthe other hand?? Looks either like the typical oak leaves or a turnip??? In addition, the hose running up the front of the grill?? A beautiful piece...a person could sink thousands $ into these beauties. They are so unique and one of a kind. Brian

reservist1 said:
the thumblift is a Kraftfahr shoulder strap.
Like so. Unlike the Preußen Kraftfahr who changed from a red strap to a light grey strap in June 1911, Bayern wore the red strap right up until May 1914. I missed the fact that the woman on the Stein was sitting over a radiator until Brian pointed it out. Just wonderful!!! :salute:

Gaak. I'm getting dizzy looking at these! I much prefer the short fat Bier Krugs to the tall fancy Steins. I only have one myself, a Marine one. R1, I suspect you, however, could host an Octoberfest for a town.

Kraftfahr.jpg

I am wondering about the symbolism shown in the figure riding the hood of the car.

Brian and Tony: The figure on the front of the stein is the "Munich Child" an official symbol for all citizens of Munich. The letters on her stein are not HE but HB (Hofbrauhaus). I am sure all the serious beer drinkers have seen earthenware beer mugs with the letters HB. She is holding a white raddish in her left hand. In the Bavarian mountains large white radishes are a popular snack with beer. The following link contains an interesting overview of the symbol from its origin as a hooded monk in 1239 to the young girl with the stein and radish. Scroll through the article to the section on the Munich child.
http://www.beerstein.net/articles/char-stns.htm

Reservist1

Tony & Kaiser said:
I missed the fact that the woman on the Stein was sitting over a radiator until Brian pointed it out.
Woman??? Surely, it's a curtal friar or monk. Holy carbon monoxide!

Chas. :p

AHHH!!! now I understand R1. Didn't "Alice" have something to do with a white raddish?? I know for a fact that Jefferson Airplane did a song called "White Raddish" as well. I will read up on the Bavarian child. Brian

Goodness Brian where were you in the 70's? I'm with George -- -- White Rabbit -- -- and you are the musician!

Dudes.....I was making a joke. I have played in rock bands for 30 years of course I knew the correct name of the tune which is based on Alices' White Rabbit. You know, the one that leads her into Wonderland!!
I wondered at the time of posting whether my intent would be a little too subtle for some, or perhaps my humour was a bit too raddiculous???
Anyway, straddling a car hood with a stein of beer in one hand and a large white raddish in the other strikes me as very funny but also very German! R1 has still not told me where that hose (it is part of the same scene) is going to. My best to you all, Brian

I think it represents a fuel line feeding Hofbrau to the engine. Furthermore, I was being serious when I theorized the figure is monastic. Believe it or not, the turnip has long been recognized as a symbol of charity. It may not be the da Vinci Code, but it is nonetheless fascinating.

Chas.

Chas:
If you take a look at the Stein site that R1 has linked to you will see that your impression is totally correct. Originally, the Munich child was a monk. B

Whoops! Looking back, I completely missed R1's reply explaining the Munich Child. Consequently, my hypotheses are somewhat tangential.

However, it does make for an interesting case study of facts versus speculation.

Chas.

Chip Minx said:
I think the thumblift is more like this...

:cussing: Argh! You win as usual Chip. Those are superb!! :love10: And I have to say again how interesting that BierKrug is, the thumb lift, top with auto, Münchin child litho, a fantasy item for a Kraftfahr collector.

Back