Upcoming Trip to Austria and Germany

My wife and I are leaving to visit Austria and Germany September 10th and are returning to the States, October 10th. Our destinations are ,in order : Vienna, Wels, Austria, Passau, Regensburg, Inglostadt (Bavarian Army Museum),Nuremberg ,Bamberg, Coburg, Borna, Leipzig, Potsdam, Berlin, Braunschweig, Kiel and Hamburg (we have high school friends there).
My question to the members is ,"Are there any military shops or military history (regimental histories) bookstores that you can advise me to see in these places?" I do plan on going to Helmut Weitze's shop in Hamburg and checking out every military museum I can find ( my wife is very understanding!). We were last in Germany in 2017 and a great time and only gained 7 pounds.
Kyle

Kyle,

in Vienna check out Buchhandlung Stöhr at Lerchenfelderstraße 78-80. Big military bookshop with modern and antiquarian military books.

Regards
Glenn

Berliner Zinnfiguren in Berlin

Excellent books. The staff is very helpful for information on museums, exhibitions, militaria dealers, surviving garrison buildings etc. around the city.

Also, the Humboldt Forum Berlin's newest museum within the restored royal palace. While other nations were building collections of art with the Louvre and the BM, Berlin was investing in a German fascination with the natural sciences, anthropology and culture history. Named for the Prussian naturalist Alexander von Humboldt.

The Wandsbeker Heimatmuseum is nice to see. Small Museum, and only open on Tuesday from 15:00-18:00, but it is nice to see from Hussar Regiment Königin Wilhelmina der Niederlande (Hannoversches) Nr. 15
Also, the completely restored Monument in Wandsbek (Hamburg) is nice to see, it is near to the old Kaserne of that regiment now Houses.

Have a nice trip to Germany Kyle :)

Sounds like a great trip (y)

Are you also planning on visiting as many Military Museums as possible ? I have a very good list of ones I've visited over the years from all but one of the places you mention which is Borna.
We will also be on Vacation visiting a few friends and family but mostly in Bayern and Austria starting Monday for a month.
Its the best time to travel the kids are back in school so most places aren't nearly as crowded and the temperatures are approaching perfect Bier drinking weather. 🍺

While not Military related if in Hamburg you have to see the Model Railroad its the largest in the world and guaranteed to blow your mind.
Hot tip order tickets ahead of time and you will not stand in line they have a separate entrance for advance tickets which is wonderful.
Heres a link . https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com

Also If I may ask anyone knowing of any shops selling Military items in Bavaria please post. I know a few but hate to think there is something I ride past. Thanks in advance John

Thanks for everyone's input on my question. I will post relevant photos ,to the forum, of what find in these cities.
Kyle

Kyle, here some more ideas for your trip:
- Ingolstadt: should try to get to a little militaria show (60-80 tables) at the Hippodrom in Greding, about half an hour north of
Ingolstadt (21-23rd Sept., from 10.00am)
-Nürnberg: must see is the rallye area with its Dokumentationszentrum. There is a small militaria shop at the "Albrecht Duerer Platz", close to
the castle.
- Coburg: Antik Buchwald, a well known dealer with quite a large selecton of helmets (check his webside before)
Except that, enjoy the northern franconian area with its more than 150 breweries and specific food like "Schaeufele" and the Bratwurst
( don`t miss those at the market place in Coburg)
Enjoy your trip - you will have much fun
Best
Thomas

The Saturday flea markets are also a very good source of militaria. Just ask the Taxi guy and he will take you to the local one. I have picked up some very nice goodies at these flea markets.

Back