UR20 project 2022

Congratulations Michiel!

I'm a little bit surprised to see it was stamped "1920" for the Reichswehr, didn't imagine they would still have lances after they were shown to be so inefficient in modern warfare. Or am I misinterpreting the markings?

Regards,

Lars
dear Lars,
as I understand it: it is marked 1915 and after the war re-issued 1920.
There does not seem to be any regimental stamp as seen on swords.
as illustrated in the attached Photo's

this gives me the opportunity to share a small anecdote,

about 20 years ago I visited a local flee market 5 km from our holiday house I'm now located in (Belgian Ardennes), where I saw this sword, I asked the seller what it was, he said it was french marine, but I definitely recognized the markings als german so I bought it for 100 euro's,
afterwards I did not know what is was and when visiting Ciney Military (40 km from here) show I took it with me to show it to friends for their opinion, but as it did not comprise the scabbard and was not looking mint I was somewhat ashamed and left it in the car, during the morning I talked about it and someone asked to get it from the car, on returning someone interrupted me and asked me to sell it because it was a rare Saxon Garde reiter Sword...
so turned out to be quite a bargain!

Attachments

• GR_1.jpg
    GR_1.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 15
  • GR_2.jpg
    GR_2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 15
Weimar Republic period Mounted Riot Police used these lances postwar. It was found to be a good tool to break up roving bands of Spartakists and Red Front strikers. Polearms are few and far between in collections today. The "1920" markings were not an issue date but a property stamp for the Weimar Republic Government indicating compliance with the disarming of the people law passed in 1920.

Back