US Allien Officer Cavalry Helmet 1881.

I can recommend the books Brass Spikes and Horsehair Plumes: A History of U.S. Army Dress Helmets by Gordon Chappell

I know I should read before I buy but I finally looked at the reference. You are right Peter this is a great book. I now understand that helmets and the differences in the models. That's the good news. The bad news is that I did an exhaustive search for Nichols in the second cavalry officer ranks. No joy. There was no such person. Therefore, this must be the name tag of an old collector??? Really quite disappointing however I did learn how to search for someone in the American army. Not bad.

V/R
Joe

I wouldn't be so disappointed, Colonel J-- plenty of Officers and Soldiers aren't listed, and our records aren't the be all end all. Though, I have not seen that method of marking a helmet before, it doesn't mean it's not original.

I personally wear a ww2 service cap frontplate that is gilded and larger than the sta-brite ones everyone wears now; my buttons are ww2 gilded, and I am having a bullion eagle made to replace my cap frontplate--so, no, I would say that Officer's never really fell 100 percent within regulations, or that regulations have always been so clearly defined.

Chinstrap--the helmet you linked to, it is a put together from the 1950s made from surplus. Real body, real enlisted cavalry horsehair plume, reproduction enlisted cavalry cords, real frontplate, and get this--reproduction plume assembly--actually made by Stokes Kirk from lamp parts...

Mr. Suciu--I should have been more specific. Yes, I meant the HS helmets. It's also been proposed that Allien imported almost everything he made from someone else before putting his stamp on it. Thank you for the note.

Redlegwolf said:
Mr. Suciu!!!

Really, is this the point in my life where I've become "Mr." - I'm only in my 40s! Of course I can't read with my contact lenses in as I become far sighted and I can't see distance without as my contacts as I'm nearsighted. So I guess I am old.

Back