US Customs Chicago

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Just a heads up everyone, especially for those of us in N America. There seems to be a hold up/ back log of packages being processed through US customs in Chicago. I sent 2 helmets (returns) in the first week of April. One which was going to Colorado was received in the usual weeks time. Unfortunately, the other is still in Chicago. I mailed out Alan's Grenadier helmet about 2 weeks later and he still has not received it...last location Chicago. So we all should be aware of this problem, it could be covid related or it could also be tied to the closed Can/US Border. The border closure has led to an extra massive amount of mail being sent between CN and the US so this also could be adding to this problem. So, if you are thinking of mailing a piece of militaria or are waiting for something internationally you can expect delays if it is going through Chicago.

Great post Brian, yes this is a big issue for all International shipments, not just Canada and USA.

I recently had two helmets come from Germany, one was here in 7 days, other took 3 months being stuck in Chicago Customs.

I also sent some items to a forum member overseas a few weeks ago, and they are stuck in Chicago customs as well.

I have talked to USPS and they listen and then say that there is nothing they can do it is customs delays due to COVID, they politely say you have to be patient....

It is kind of the luck of the draw some go through fast, others do not...

I guess we are all going to have to be patient and wait, I know it sucks when you shed out good money for items, but in our new World that is what is going on.

James

Personally, I have a wappen coming from France, a piece that I have been looking for...15 years to complete an M95 helmet to JR 93. Luckily, it won't have to go through Chicago! :) It is very hard though, for us collectors to be patient.

Last edited:
Brian ;
I hope that front plate fits once that you receive it.
I only use Priority Mail nowadays. It cost more , but better service .
However if it is customs , it don't matter what you spend , they will keep it as long as they like .
Most of the time Fed -X is extra quick .But now their International Economy has bogged down .
I had a helmet shipped from Germany May 6 .Normally 3 -4 days , it did not arrive until today May 18
16 days total . All we can do is sit and wait .Steve

// Luckily, it won't haver to go through Chicago! //

Probably not, but if it goes through the Mississauga Ontario processing plant (very likely), it could be stuck there for a while. I have had a parcel from Ontario stuck in there for four weeks. Several unfortunate Covid outbreaks and the backlog is now weeks. With less people. If they have to shut to save lives, then shut. I can wait for my parcel which is insignificant in comparison. I have my fingers crossed for your IR93 Wappen Brian.

Yes T, I forgot about the Mississauga postal plant covid problems, although I believe it is being shipped through UPS, at least I escaped the bank transfer issue. :) I had never bid in any European auction before and was not aware of the "b t" which is common over there.

Personally, I have a wappen coming from France, a piece that I have been looking for...15 years to complete an M95 helmet to JR 93. Luckily, it won't have to go through Chicago! :) It is very hard though, for us collectors to be patient.
Brian, am so glad that you have found the wappen

I think the Mississauga problem has been resolved. My 5th Dragoon Guards helmet went through there and it arrived at my house from the UK in three days!

I couldn't believe it. Takes longer to get stuff from Northern Ontario or Winnipeg.

Another report regarding Chicago, one of my US customers finally received their helmet. The piece was mailed from Canada March 30 and received May 24th, not quite 2 months. I guess the main thing is that the helmet was not lost.

No problem John. We Collector’s really do depend on the shipping and mail services though. When things are running smoothly you don’t think about it much obviously, but in these times our dependency really becomes clear.

Chicago and Los Angeles are vastly faster than anything going through JFK in New York.

A piece of advice to anyone shipping items into the USA... never use registered mail and don't require a signature. Registered mail slows every package to a crawl. It is "safe" in that it won't disappear but boxes are routinely crushed, banged up and mishandled in my experience. For anything valuable I opt for the fastest shipping method instead.

Received my JR 93 wappen from France today. Shipped UPS, so no delays, it was mailed May 25th...3 days !

IF you're flying into the US, Chicago is a nightmare as well, unless you're a diplomat or US service member. If you're flying, I'd strongly suggest a different entry point, such as Atlanta. (which is the only other I've been through)

I had an interesting return trip from the SOS years ago as we had initially flown to Louisville. Unfortunately, there was a huge snow storm the night before we were supposed to fly back and in the morning, every flight was cancelled. We ended up having to spend another night in the hotel then fly to Dallas, back to Chicago and finally to Toronto. So I can lay claim to having been in both of those major US airports! Unfortunately as of this weekend, Alan's Grenadier helmet is still stuck in Chicago. :(

Just a heads up everyone, especially for those of us in N America. There seems to be a hold up/ back log of packages being processed through US customs in Chicago. I sent 2 helmets (returns) in the first week of April. One which was going to Colorado was received in the usual weeks time. Unfortunately, the other is still in Chicago. I mailed out Alan's Grenadier helmet about 2 weeks later and he still has not received it...last location Chicago. So we all should be aware of this problem, it could be covid related or it could also be tied to the closed Can/US Border. The border closure has led to an extra massive amount of mail being sent between CN and the US so this also could be adding to this problem. So, if you are thinking of mailing a piece of militaria or are waiting for something internationally you can expect delays if it is going through Chicago.
Thank you for sharing this information. It's important for people to be aware of potential delays and issues with package processing, especially when it comes to international shipments. Delays in customs processing can occur for various reasons, including increased volume of mail, COVID-19-related restrictions, or other logistical challenges.

Back