US Sun Helmet ID Sought

Maple Creek

Here's something I bought at an estate sale yesterday. The original owner may have served in Puerto Rico or maybe the Phillipines. The helmet was part of a lot of items associated with the owner's tropical service.

I'm wondering if this might be a US military item, US civilian, British private purchase, or what. Any ideas?

Did the US military use this kind of helmet prior to the manufacture of the Hawley type helmets that were most common

SunHelmet_Right.jpg
SunHelmet_Liner.jpg
SunHelmet_SizeStamp.jpg
SunHelmet_wAccessories.jpg

Not American, and the Americans never used this pattern. The 1942 would be after the introduction of the pressed fiber helmet anyway.

Probably Canadian or Australian made during WWII. These were the common "Utility Pattern Wolesley" helmet.

Peter_Suciu said:
Not American, and the Americans never used this pattern. The 1942 would be after the introduction of the pressed fiber helmet anyway.

Probably Canadian or Australian made during WWII. These were the common "Utility Pattern Wolesley" helmet.

Peter, Interesting... Thanks. I'll have to dig and see if I can find out more about the original owner's service history. The tidbit of information that I got from the auctioneer's helper may not have been right.

Cheers,

Mark

Back