Value of Restored Helmet

abukafura

On the website, www.militaria-online.de, there is a Prussian officers Grenadier Helmet for the 1st Regiment. The dealer states that the helmet is "restored." I look at the helmet and, being a newby, have a hard time telling what has been restored on it. The shell sure looks almost perfect. The dates "1655" look like they have been repainted (not sure). I don't know a replica chinstrap from a real one, nor on the cokades. Can anyone tell me what is "restored" on this helmet? The asking price is 4200 Euros. The item number is 74. Is this a fair price or too much? Thank you for all the help.

Well I'll stick my neck out but I could be way out of line: The thing that sticks out to me is that the peak trim looks mannschaften - thicker than on a normal officers helmet. Could be the photograph angle but it seems pretty thick.

And maybe a little re-gilding - look at the middle third of the blade of the sword.

Also - for some weird reason the outer ridge on the spike-base looks kind of different.......? Nah, forget that....I'm paranoid...

And....... I've seen this before but very rarely - the Quillons of the sword are like on a Guard wappen - not what I'd expect on a Grenadier plate - but it has the 'pineapple' on the sceptre so I guess it's cool?

I think you could be right about the repainting too.

I think you need to ask him.......good luck! :nike:

I am with Mikey ask Sergio. Good dealer but some communication problems for me at times. Other people have no problem. I never like his helmet prices and have negotiated some times to no avail.

I do agree with Joe,
Semino's native language is Italian and his German is pretty basic. At least he's honest when you ask about his helmets. Prices may be steep, but if you take your time to discuss these, he's at least less expensive than the well known European and US dealers.
Regards from Holland,
Ad

Back