Velvet Backed Chin Scales

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
James and Alan kept me busy over this "Covid Winter" by sending me 2 officer helmets and a tschapka to work on. James threw in 4 single chin scales to be rebuilt as well. I think they both just wanted to keep me semi safe at home....keep "the old guy" off the streets! :) Anyway, 2 of the 4 single scales are of interest:
IMG_1801-X2.jpg

First, a typical broken convex "cavalry" style scale.
IMG_1800-X3.jpg

But....something I have never seen before, black velvet backing on the scale!! :eek: This is part of a set as James kept the unbroken one. After my initial surprise...I got to thinking....I have known James for over a decade, yea I could see him as a "Black Velvet" type of guy! :D :D Now that I have had my fun, has anyone else seen this before?? :???:
Next another broken Le Brasseur scale, flat infantry:
IMG_1802-X3.jpg

A bit narrower than most but still a nice example. The oval buckle, I have seen before but the square buckle is more common to Imperial officer scales.
IMG_1803-X3.jpg

But a new twist shown on the reverse side...a narrow metal backing strip! :eek: Now, I have seen this before where collectors have tried to repair breaks with thread, glued brass strips, tape etc. However, never this, the rusted staple over the corroded thin metal strip suggests, that this is original manufacture. We shall see as obviously, I am going to take this apart. Last, this infantry scale comes off a Wurtt. officer helmet in James's collection.
The "black velvet" scale also poses a problem.....can I get the original velvet (glued) off of the fiber backing strip? :? Or, do I replace with modern "black velvet"??? As usual James causes me problems! :eek: . I tried to relieve my covid stress for several weeks, as well as the pressure from Minnesota, by erroneously telling James that I had "lost" these two scales during a" trip to Walmart" BUT he refused to believe this for some reason :lol: To be continued. :thumb up:

Yes Sandy the loop for the thin leather strap is elastic, which does mean that it is more modern, probably post 1900?

A little heat from a hair dryer may soften the glue as would hot water since, if original, it will be animal based, but I'm you're on to that one already.

Good hint with the glue. But I also think that these elastic loops are post ww1 or even ww2.

Hi Brian,
I have to revise my post with the Elastic loop. Yesterday I received a 100% original helmet and examined it today. It has a very well preserved Chin-Scale with a very similar loop. So yours can be contemporary! :thumb up:
51031800288_0e0b289142_b.jpg

Sandmann said:
Hi Brian,
I have to revise my post with the Elastic loop. Yesterday I received a 100% original helmet and examined it today. It has a very well preserved Chin-Scale with a very similar loop. So yours can be contemporary! :thumb up:

I had missed this. Elastic material was indeed found on Pickelhaube chinscales. Most famously, the Kaiser's helmets were equipped with an elastic strap instead of the usual leather pieces, in order for the chinscales to be easily placed under the chin with one hand, since he had only one functional arm.

The velvet-backed chinstraps I have observed were all on fibre helmets made by Erel for the Rumanian Border units...

Great comments everyone. Thanks Bruno, I had forgotten about the Kaiser's special "elastic set up". Yes Sandy, I was going to have to challenge you on that comment :D as I have seen elastic loops on many original officer scales. Yes the glues used were animal based :) No epoxy in 1900!!

I gutted the flat infantry scale today. Here are the photos:
IMG_1809-X3.jpg

The staples are very rusty! Usually, I can reuse them but I am certain many of these are too far gone.
IMG_1810-XL.jpg

As I suspected, most staples broke and the leather? backing disintegrates. :eek:
IMG_1812-X3.jpg

The thin metal strip turns out to be brass. It is original but in my opinion a poor design/addition. Yes the scale did not break through the center section but it did at both ends where there was no strip. As I said, I have never seen this before maybe it was an economy measure or intended to speed up production?? :?
IMG_1811-XL.jpg

It pays to number each scale as they are removed.

Brian, As always, great stuff. I need to mark all my chinscales before I get too much more into rebuilding them. Thanks for the tip. Sandy, thank you for the insight into the use of elastic on some chinscales from the period.
Best to all,
John

Back