Ventless rear spine M1915 model

Amybellars

Hi guys,

I am pulling a post from the Artillery pickelhaubes discussion section.
https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13376

I have limited resources for reference on the ventless rear spine on the 1915 model.

What is the significance of the ventless rear spine that draws such a great difference in price?

I have seen this vent on artillery haubes before and have owned one too. I think they are specific to m15 artillery helmets.

If I understand this correctly the big thing about them is: The artillery did not go over to the vented rear spine when the foot troops did in 1895. When the model 1915 helmet was introduced it was assumed that all troops would have the vented spine. It would appear that didn't happen, that a small number of artillery helmet makers continued to produce the new model with non-vented spines.
What would interring is to check our m'15 helmets to see if they are vented or not and if they are dated and labeled by manufacturer. Personally I sold all my m'15 artillery helmets. I believe they all had vents.

Hi,

Just checked my only M15 Artillery helmet, by Wilhelm Becker, Elberfeld, 1916, and saw it has a ventless rear spine. Never knew that was special. Stamped B.A. VII, FAR 58.

Have a good weekend, Lars

I have a large front visor, high domed Saxe helme in my collection. It has a ventless rear spine which corresponds to the rest of the helmet's original characteristics. BUT it has been equipped with M91 side posts, original M91 Saxe kokarden and original chin strap. When I bought it 30 years ago, from an antique dealer, everything was there I did not have to source any parts. So we have to conclude at least in my opinion, that yes every Arty helme should have a ventless spine as per regulations but in reality......???

I have the FAR 44 marked arty that is ventless and I have two spare rear spines M15 grey metal which are ventless. My other M15 arty helmets as in few dozens are all with vent holes. All cannot understand why the ventless spine is so special that cause the price to surge by double.

Hi,

Just checked my only M15 Artillery helmet, by Wilhelm Becker, Elberfeld, 1916, and saw it has a ventless rear spine. Never knew that was special. Stamped B.A. VII, FAR 58.

Have a good weekend, Lars

I picked up a nice M15 Artillery helmet this past weekend at a military collector show. I cannot yet read the maker mark. It is dated 1917.

My helmet has the ventless rear spine. There is no provision for a vent hole in the leather helmet body with this type of non-ventilated back spine.

There are no Artillery Regiment issue markings, but there is a "B.A. XI" AK Clothing Depot mark on the back visor.

The AK XI Headquarters was at Cassel, and covered the Provinzen of Kur=Hessen & Thuringen; Gotha, Meiningen, Weimar, Reuss, Schwarzburg, Waldeck.

The helmet has an M15 Prussian wappen on it.

The helmet is nicely named to an "F. Schmidt" which I believe is a common name.

I will take some photos of it later today, and post here.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Here are photos of the M15 Field Artillery Helmet with the ventless spine.

The back visor needs some re-shaping on the wearer's left side. Fortunately it's flexible.

When I acquired this helmet, the round metal support disk was located on the outside of the helmet, underneath the spike base (just like I often times find with these helmets). I moved it to the inside of the helmet where it is supposed to be located. Invariably when one does this, there is usually a difference in the color/texture/appearance on the outside black finish of the helmet, from where this larger support disk sat improperly underneath the spike base of the helmet for decades after it was brought back to the States. At least with this particular helmet, the outer edge of the metal support disk circle Did Not leave an indentation on the surface of the exterior finish of the helmet. It only left a little bit of color difference to the black finish of the helmet.

Best Wishes,

Alan

101_7941.JPG

101_7942.JPG

101_7943.JPG

101_7944.JPG

101_7945.JPG

101_7946.JPG

101_7947.JPG

101_7949.JPG

Just curious do any of these helms with the ventless spine have the vent hole in the shell ?
I could imagine it. The helmets were mass produced for different regiments with the same order and it was certainly easier to produce all helmet shells in the same way, instead of adding a quality check to see if there was no hole in the helmet that became a field artillery helmet.

Hello John Josef,

My helmet has no vent hole in the helmet shell.

I agree with what Sandy said, that it's possible to find some of these FAR helmets with a vent hole in the helmet shell.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Thanks for taking time to look, to be honest I'm pretty surprised to hear that the shell has no vent hole.

I was asking because I was really curious to see just how much effort was made and it appears it was purposely being done early during manufacture which is very very interesting especially during the time it was done.

Thanks for taking time to look, to be honest I'm pretty surprised to hear that the shell has no vent hole.

I was asking because I was really curious to see just how much effort was made and it appears it was purposely being done early during manufacture which is very very interesting especially during the time it was done.
Mine has no vent holes on the shell as well

Back