Verdun veteran interv (1980)"The missing Pickelhaube spikes"

Khukri

Have a look at this one !

1980 interview: A German Verdun veteran about the "Missing Pickelhaube spikes"

Great footage: story starts at 11minutes40seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyaeoUZ0DHA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love it !!

Francis

Absolutely excellent! Now I have to search for a Pickelhaube with a dried potato on top.
Thanks for this. The best "field expedient" I've heard of so far.
John =D>

Does this mean I can use a potato to replace the missing spike on some of the M15 helmets I have?

:thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up:

Thanks Francis,
I have never heard such a detailed report of the Great War; he appears to be reading from written down memories, it illustrates how cruel those days must have been.

“When we were in a good mood, we used to sing patriotic songs and used to say; soon our blood will be spattered against the walls of Verdun “

He mentioned that they had to relieve the 105th , this helmet belonged to Major Curt Braun from the Konigl. Sachsisches-infanterie Reg Nr 105.
He got awarded with the golden verwundetenabzeichen ,which indicates he almost got killed.

That was really good and informative. They collected the spikes and put them in a bag. I'm surprised he could talk so freely about it. It is fear that dries the mouth. :bravo:

Excellent, thanks for the link. Very rare to hear from the German side. The spike info was a real bonus!

Back