VERY NICE GERMAN COMBAT HELMET M16

Chlodovech

This one looks like an M17 and not M16!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-NICE-GERMAN-COMBAT-HELMET-M16-/180723629279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a13f7bcdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the shinstrap is most probably not original .... :-k

Looks like a nice M16 to me. Yeah, the chinstrap may be a field repair from a bit of harness work, but the screw in it rather than a rivet or sewing is strange, but who knows what went on in the trenches. Could be an old (1920's or so) replacement, which seems likely to me. It would take some research and testing on the tanning process to really know and I don't think it's really worth that. No way to really know I guess. :)

:D Ron

The M16 had chinstrap posts + a leather liner band (on which the 3 leather pads were sewn)
The 'M17' had chinstrap posts + a metal liner band (with perforations for the3 leather pads to be sewn) *
The M18 had chinstrap hooks fixed stemming directly from the metal liner band and not the shell (as opposed to the Austrian version which looked like an M18 from the start except for the hooks which were attached to the shell+the chinstrap was different+the shell color was usually brown instead of green).

There's a very good article highlighting the main German M16-17-18 differences on Kaiser's Bunker by the way...

(*) The 'M17' never really existed as such hence the quotes. It was actually an M16 with a metal liner band due to shortages in raw material.

Strange, I read it was a 'size thing' with the metal ring employed for larger helmet shells, also it was adopted because it was easier to produce. Personally, I don't see a use for the designation if it's not historically correct or official. :) :-k
To me, the designation M17 is similar to blackened muzzles on tank models, something that's easy and cool to do, but has no basis on facts. (So, I'll leave "M17" alone as of now... until the War Ministry order comes to light stating it was an official designation! I think as a group of collectors, we should strive for accuracy, rather than convenience)

:D Ron

Hey Ron,
The "M17" designation is indeed more convenient than having to say (or type):
"German Imperial Stahlhelm with a liner band made of metal instead of the M16 leather one that doesn't have the M18 chinstrap loops" :D

And speaking of German Imperial Stahlhelm with a liner band made of metal instead of the M16 leather one that doesn't have the M18 chinstrap loops, here's a nice one I think (except for the tape damage which could be removed with alcohol?):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Nice-Imperial-German-WW1-M16-M17-Stahlhelm-Helmet-Orig-Liner-3-Pads-/300602358156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back