Vizewachtmeister 1888 Braunschweigisches Husaren-Regt. Nr.17

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Here is some "eye" candy for this Halloween eve. This should make a few jaws drop. :spiderman:

A matching and exceptionally rare Vizewachtmeister (Senior NCO) 1888 dated Braunschweigisches Husaren-Regt. Nr.17 Attila with Schirmmütze which was only worn between 1883 and 1886.

To see a detailed write-up and photos of the Schirmmütze click Here.

To see the Attila click Here.

dbt41g.jpg

Really Fantastic! Very nice job on the date.

Brunswick was the last state to enter into a military convention with Prussia. The Duke, who had allied with Prussia during the 1866 war, insisted on his personal control of the forces. Once the Duke died childless in 1884, the Prussian regent worked hard to finish the convention, which was signed on 18 March 1886. Prior to that time, units from Brunswick used the designation ducal, operating under the Constitution of the North German Confederation and they were subject to the Kaiser’s command only in time of war. The State also had the right to appoint officers separate from Prussia. Interestingly, Brunswick also maintained a different uniform prior to the convention wearing the black uniform of the Napoleonic tradition.

Donk! Indeed my jaw has dropped on my desk!
Ultra rare and super beautiful Tony... Congratulations!

Adler

I was looking at this thing again the other evening and it still amazes me. It is 120+ years old yet the gilding on the rosettes and the Vizewachtmeister 30mm NCO buttons on the collar have absolutely 100% gilding and look like they were made yesterday.

Not even the smallest bit of fading, the black is jet-black and the yellow cording is as bright on top as it is when you roll it over and look underneath. This must have been in a storage trunk since the 1890s, there is no other way to explain its condition. And this guy had a HUGE barrel chest; exactly what you would expect on a Sgt-Major!

dbt41a.jpg

It is really fine to understand the absolute rarity of this. and the condition!!! Thank you for taking the time to show it to us. I don't do uniforms all but this is a nice one.

Back