von Mackensen at the Olympics

Lost Skeleton

To coincide with the relay of the vicissitudinous 2008 Olympic Torch, I watched my old laser disc (pre-DVD analogue optical disc) of Leni Riefenstahl's superb documentary, Olympia 1. Teil - Fest der Völker. This chronicle of the 1936 Berlin Olympics, completed in 1938, seems particularly relevant seventy years on, but I don't intend to mull over the political parallels here.

I captured a frame which I thought would be of interest to Imperial scholars. At left is the aged August von Mackensen, wearing what every retired Feldmarschall should wear at the Olympics. And, yes, that is Josef Goebbels at far right with binos. Though one can't see his club foot, Goebbels' cane is hooked to the handrail. Aryan supremacy, my eye!

P1010871.jpg

Though the Attila is not identical (note the cuffs and collar), this ensemble, attributed to von Mackensen, is on display at the Wehrgeschichtliche Museum in Rastatt.

100_0705.jpg

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
Though the Attila is not identical (note the cuffs and collar), this ensemble, attributed to von Mackensen, is on display at the Wehrgeschichtliche Museum in Rastatt.

Every time I saw that incredible set, the staff had to clean the glass cabinet after I left.... The Attila on display is his dress Attila, the one he is wearing at the games is an Interm Attila.

Back